North Dakota History: Journal of the Northern Plains, and its predecessors, has been published for more than one hundred years. Below is a listing of articles and book reviews for each issue since 2005.
Vol. 80, No. 2/Summer 2015
The Designed Landscape of the North Dakota Badlands
By Steve Martens
Special section: North Dakota Parks and Recreation Department Celebrates Fifty Years
Coordinated by Ken Rogers, Guest Editor
- Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography Ed. by Pamela Smith Hill
Reviewed by Lori Ann Lahlum, Ph.D.
- Journal of a Mountaineer by William T. Hamilton
Reviewed by Ron Warner
- Ewiger Saatz: Everlasting Yeast, the Food Culture of the Germans from Russia in Emmons County, Logan County, and McIntosh County, North Dakota by Sue B. Balcom
Reviewed by LaVern J. Rippley, Ph.D
Vol. 80, No. 1/Spring 2015
Harry Lashkowitz: FDR's North Dakota Champion
By Terry Shoptaugh
Eliminating "Blight": Urban Renewal Comes
By Nicholas Bauroth
- The Indianization of Lewis and Clark by William R. Swagerty
Reviewed by Gerard Baker or Yellow Wolf (Mandan/Hidatsa)
- Gifts from the Thunder Beings: Indigenous Archery and European Firearms in the Northern Plains and Central Subarctic, 1670-1870 by Roland Bohr
Reviewed by Paul R. Picha
- Assault on Deadwood Stage: Road Agents and Shotgun Messengers by Robert K. DeArment
Reviewed by Molly Rozum
- Ledger Narratives: The Plains Indian Drawings of the Lansburgh Collection at Dartmouth College by Colin G. Calloway
Reviewed by Tuŋwéya Tȟokáheya (Dakota Goodhouse)
Vol. 79, No. 1/December 2014
Swashing Around in the Sisterhood of States
By Barbara Handy-Marchello, Ph.D.
Breaking an 1889 Glass Ceiling: Laura J. Eisenhuth
By Susan Wefald
- Medora: Boom, Bust, and Resurrection by Rolf Sletten
Reviewed by Ross F. Collins
- Storytelling Time: Native North American Art from the Collections at the University of North Dakota by A.F. Jones and L.A. Ganje, ed.
Reviewed by Joan Carpenter Troccoli
- Columns of Vengeance: Soldiers, Sioux, and the Punitive Expeditions 1863 - 1864 by Paul N. Beck
Reviewed by Chris Johnson
Vol. 78, Nos. 3 & 4
John F. Kennedy and Theodore Roosevelt: Parallels and Common Ground, Including North Dakota
ByClay S. Jenkinson
Fifty Years Later: One Moment that Changed Clint Hill's Life
By Kimberly Jondahl
- In the Mood for Munsingwear: Minnesota's Claim to Underwear Fame by Susan Marks
Reviewed by Jenny Yearous
- Birch Coulie: The Epic Battle of the Dakota War by John Christgau
Reviewed by Gary Clayton Anderson
- Principle Over Party: The Farmers' Alliance and Populism in South Dakota, 1880-1900 by R. Alton Lee
Reviewed by William C. Pratt
- Greet the Dawn: The Lakota Way by S.D. Nelson
Reviewed by Linda Gutensohn
- Dakota: The Story of the Northern Plains by Norman K. Risjord
Reviewed by Bethany Andreason
- Life's Journey—Zuya: Oral Teachings from the Rosebud by Albert White Hat Sr.
Reviewed by Dakota Goodhouse
- After Custer: Loss and Transformation in Sioux Country by Paul L. Hedren
Reviewed by Robert Russell
- Corn Palaces and Butter Queens: A History of Crop Art and Dairy Sculpture by Pamela H. Simpson
Reviewed by Kimberly K. Porter
Vol. 78, Nos. 1 & 2
From Theodore Roosevelt to the Izaak Walton League, a Social History of Hunting in North Dakota, 1880 -1950
By Jonathan Wagner
Denbigh Station and Experimental Forest: Soil Conservation in the Plains States
By Thomas Turck
- The North American Journals of Prince Maximilian of Wied, Vol. II
April – September 1833 by Stephen S. Witte and Marsha V. Gallagher, ed.
Reviewed by Paul R. Picha
- A Free and Hardy Life: Theodore Roosevelt’s Sojourn in the American West by Clay Jenkinson
Reviewed by David A. Wolff
- The Identities of Marie Rose Delorme Smith: Portrait of a Métis Woman 1861-1960 by Doris Jeanne MacKinnon
Reviewed by Virgil Benoit
- The Big Empty: The Great Plains in the Twentieth Century by R. Douglas Hurt
Reviewed by Mark Harvey
- Montana Before History: 11,000 Years of Hunter-Gatherers in the Rockies and Plains by Douglas H. MacDonald
Reviewed by Wendi Field Murray
- Walking Along: Plains Indian Trickster Stories by Paul Goble
Reviewed by Janet Spaeth
- The Lakotas and the Black Hills: The Struggle for Sacred Ground by Jeffrey Ostler
Reviewed by Gregory Gagnon
Vol. 77, Nos. 3 & 4
James Cash Penney and His North Dakota Stores
By David Delbert Kruger
The Star Quilt on the Northern Plains: A Symbol of American Indian Identity
By Birgit Hans
- W. R. Wood, W.J. Hunt, Jr., R.H. Williams. Fort Clark and Its Indian Neighbors: A Trading Post on the Upper Missouri.
Reviewed by Gerard Baker
- Paul L. Hedren. Great Sioux War Orders: How the United States Army Waged War on the Northern Plains, 1876-1877.
Reviewed by John H. Monnett
- Mark Diedrich, with Louis Garcia. Little Fish: Head Chief of the Dakota on Fort Totten Reservation.
Reviewed by Gregory Gagnon
- Jennifer M. Ross-Nazzal. Winning the West for Women: The Life of Suffragist Emma Smith DeVoe.
Reviewed by Angels Firkus
- J.D. McDermott, R.E. Grim, P. Mobley. Eye of the Explorer: Views of the Northern Pacific Railroad Survey, 1853-1854.
Reviewed by Rick Ewig
- David A. Wolff. Seth Bullock: Black Hills Lawman.
Reviewed by Douglas W. Ellison
- W. Raymond Wood. A White-bearded Plainsman: The Memoirs of Archaeologist W. Raymond Wood.
Reviewed by Dale Henning
- Ned O’Gorman. Spirits of the Cold War: Contesting Worldviews in the Classical Age of American Security Strategy.
Reviewed by Mark Sundlov
- Betty A. Bergland and Lori Ann Lahlum. Norwegian American Women: Migration, Communities, and Identities.
Vol. 77, Nos. 1 & 2
James Kipp: Upper Missouri River Fur Trader and Missouri Farmer
By W. Raymond Wood
From the Sites: Fort Clark Trading Post
By Bonnie T. Johnson
- Susan Sleeper-Smith, ed. Rethinking the Fur Trade: Cultures of Exchange in an Atlantic World.
Reviewed by Paul R. Picha
- Andrea Winkjer Collin with Richard E. Collin. Mr. Wheat: A Biography of U.S. Senator Milton R. Young.
Reviewed by Dan Rylance
- Jeremy Agnew. Life of a Soldier on the Western Frontier.
Reviewed by Chris Johnson
- Mary A. Kopco, ed. Beyond Mount Rushmore: Other Black Hills Faces.
Reviewed by Tim Hoheisel
- Rae Katherine Eighmey. Food Will Win the War: Minnesota Crops, Cooks, and Conservation during World War I.
Reviewed by Barbara Handy-Marchello
- Jon K. Lauck. Prairie Republic: The Political Culture of Dakota Territory.
Reviewed by Lloyd B. Omdahl
- L.H. Larson and B.J. Cottrell. Steamboats West: The 1859 American Fur Company Missouri River Expedition.
Reviewed by Thomas D. Thiessen
John H. Monnett. Where a Hundred Soldiers Were Killed: The Struggle for the Powder River Country in 1866 and the Making of the Fetterman Myth.
Reviewed by Rick Collin
- Ephraim D. Dickson III. The Sitting Bull Surrender Census: The Lakotas at Standing Rock Agency, 1881.
Reviewed by R. Eli Paul
Vol. 76, Nos. 3 & 4
Survival through Adaptation: The Fargo Nursery School, 1933-1965
David B. and Karen R. Danbom
From the Collections: The Letters of Elizabeth Bacon Custer
Bonnie T. Johnson
A Man “Who Fancies Himself Abraham Lincoln”: Senator William Langer’s Civil Rights Record
Don L. Hofsommer. The Minneapolis and St. Louis Railway: A Photographic History.
Reviewed by Robert Zeidel
- Kathleen Davison, Bonnie T. Johnson and Neil D. Howe, eds. North Dakota History: Readings about the Northern Plains State.
Reviewed by Erik Holland
- Hiram M. Drache. Prairie Homestead to Wall Street: A History of the Jones Family and Metropolitan Financial Corporation.
Reviewed by Bruce Gjovig
- Suzanne Barta Julin. A Marvelous Hundred Square Miles: Black Hills Tourism, 1880-1941.
Reviewed by Tracy Potter
- Sebastian F. Braun, Gregory Gagnon, Birgit Hans. Native Peoples of the Northern Plains: An Interdisciplinary Introduction to American Indian Studies.
Reviewed by Paul R. Picha
- Lloyd A. Svendsbye. I Paid All My Debts: A Norwegian-American Immigrant Saga of Life on the Prairie of North Dakota.
Reviewed by Lori Ann Lahlum
- Kimberly Jondahl. The Frontier Missionary: Three Tribes. A Man of God. A Journey of Faith. Reviewed by Gretchen A. Albers
- Kim Fundingsland. Bismarck, D.T.: The people and events that gave birth to the Wickedest City in the West.
Reviewed by Ken Rogers
- Terry Shoptaugh. They were Ready: The 164th Infantry in the Pacific War, 1942-1945.
Reviewed by Albert I. Berger
- William E. Lass. Navigating the Missouri: Steamboating on Nature's Highway, 1819-1935. Reviewed by Steve Dasovich
- Thomas Peacock and Marlene Wisuri. The Four Hills of Life: Ojibwe Wisdom.
Reviewed by Paulette F. Molin
VOL. 76, NOS. 1 & 2
“‘Corn in the Crib is like Money in the Bank’: George F. Will and the Oscar H. Will & Company, 1917 – 1955” by Fred Schneider
“‘I Shall Love the Land’: The Art of Clell Gannon”
“The ‘Plant Wizard of the North’: Albert F. Yeager at the North Dakota Agricultural College” by Barbara Handy-Marchello
- R. Douglas Hurt. The Great Plains during World War II. Reviewed by Claire Strom
- Richard E. Wood. Survival of Rural America: Small Victories and Bitter Harvests. Reviewed by James Corcoran
- Sebastian Felix Braun. Buffalo Inc.: American Indians and Economic Development. Reviewed by Rich Clow
- Jim Norris. North for the Harvest: Mexican Workers, Growers, and the Sugar Beet Industry Reviewed by Sterling Evans
- Garrett Wilson, Frontier Farewell: The 1870s and the End of the Old West. Reviewed by Brian W. Dippie
- Jeff Barnes. Forts of the Northern Plains: Guide to Historic Military Posts of the Plains Indian Wars. Reviewed by Mark Sundlov
- Larry Len Peterson. Charles M. Russell: Printed Rarities from Private Collections. Reviewed by Walter Piehl
- David P. Billington and Donald C. Jackson. Big Dams in the New Deal Era: A Confluence of Engineering and Politics. Reviewed by Dennis Scarnecchia
- Mark J. Timbrook. Inculpatory Evidence: A Reexamination of the High Plains Smallpox Epidemic of 1837 with an Emphasis on the Mandan. Reviewed by Erik Holland
- Thomas W. Foley. At Standing Rock and Wounded Knee: The Journals and Papers of Father Francis M. Craft, 1888-1890. Reviewed by Marilyn C. Hudson
- Merry M. Helm. Woodrow Wilson Keeble: The Man Called Chief. Reviewed by Terry L. Shoptaugh
- Paula M. Nelson, ed., Maxwell Van Nuys, comp. Sunshine Always: The Courtship Letters of Alice Bower and Joseph Gossage of Dakota Territory. Reviewed by John E. Miller
- Betti Vanepps-Taylor. Forgotten Lives: African Americans in South Dakota. Reviewed by Keith Edgerton
VOL. 75, NOS. 3 & 4 (2008)
“‘Service Is the Most Gratifying Work’:
Governor George A. “Bud” Sinner,” Edited by Robert Jansen pp. 2-53
“‘North Dakota Was Home’: Jane Baute Sinner” pp. 28-33
- Mark Diederich. Mni Wakan Oyate (Spirit Lake Nation): A History of the Sisituwan, Wahpeton, Pabaska, and other Dakota that Settled at Spirit Lake, North Dakota. Reviewed by Sebastian Braun
- Sterling Evans. Bound in Twine: The History and Ecology of the Henequen-Wheat Complex for Mexico and the American and Canadian Plains, 1880-1950. Reviewed by J.L. Anderson
- W. Raymond Wood, ed. Twilight of the Upper Missouri River Fur Trade: The Journals of Henry A. Boller. Reviewed by Sonja Schierle
- Carlos A. Schwantes and James P. Ronda. The West the Railroads Made. Reviewed by Keith Bryant
VOL. 75, NOS. 1 & 2 (2008)
“‘Lovesickness is the Worst Sickness’: The Letters of John C. Boren to His Wife, Mary Jane Woods Pennell Boren, June – July 1896” by Barbara Handy-Marchello pp. 2-14
“The Square Buttes in Art” by W. Raymond Wood pp.15-23
“Further Thoughts on President Abraham Lincoln” pp. 24-25
- David G. McCrady. Living with Strangers: The Nineteenth-Century Sioux and the Canadian-American Borderlands. Reviewed by Sebastian Braun
- Sterling Evans, ed. The Borderlands of the American and Canadian Wests: Essays on Regional History of the Forty-ninth Parallel. Reviewed by Jim Mochoruk
- Larry Len Peterson. L.A. Huffman: Photographer of the American West. Reviewed by Todd H. Strand
- Michael L. Tate. Indians and Emigrants: Encounters on the Overland Trails. Reviewed by Alan F. Perry
- Richard Sisson, Christian Zacher, and Andrew Cayton, eds. The American Midwest: An Interpretive Encyclopedia. Reviewed by David Danbom
- Akim D. Reinhardt. Ruling Pine Ridge: Oglala Lakota Politics from the IRA to Wounded Knee. Reviewed by Gregory Gagnon
- Lawrence H. Larsen, et. al. Upstream Metropolis: An Urban Biography of Omaha and Council Bluff. Reviewed by Carroll Engelhardt
- Thomas Saylor, Long Hard Road: American POWs During World War II. Reviewed by Terry L. Shoptaugh
- Michael Casler, ed. The Original Journal of Charles Larpenteur: My Travels to the Rocky Mountains between 1833 and 1872. Reviewed by Thomas D. Thiessen
- Candace S. Greene and Russell Thornton, eds. The Year the Stars Fell: Lakota Winter Counts at the Smithsonian. Reviewed by Harvey Markowitz
- Richmond L. Clow, ed. The Sioux in South Dakota History. Reviewed by Herbert T. Hoover
- David Dreyer and Josette S. Hatter, From the Banat to North Dakota. A History of the German-Hungarian Pioneers in Western North Dakota. Reviewed by LaVern Rippley
- George Pierre Castile. Taking Charge: Native American Self-Determination and Federal Indian Policy, 1975-1993. Reviewed by Margaret Connell Szasz
- Harold B. Kildahl, Westward We Came: A Norwegian Immigrant’s Story, 1866-1898. Reviewed by Darrell D. Henning
- Carroll Engelhardt, Gateway to the Northern Plains: Railroads and the Birth of Fargo and Moorhead. Reviewed by Lawrence Sommer
- Terry Shoptaugh, “You Have Been Kind Enough to Assist Me”: Herman Stern and the Jewish Refugee Crisis. Reviewed by Ferenc Morton Szasz
- Neil D. Howe, Theodore B. Jelliff, North Dakota Legendary: A Study of North Dakota’s Geography, History, Government, and Issues. Reviewed by Suzzanne Kelley
- Emma I. Hansen, Memory and Vision: Arts, Cultures, and Lives of Plains Indian People. Reviewed by Markus H. Lindner
- Dan Rylance, Quentin Burdick: The Gentle Warrior. Reviewed by Dale V. Sandstrom
Stephen S. Witte, Marsha V. Gallagher, The North Dakota Journals of Prince Maximilian of Wied. Reviewed by Birgit Hans
- Debra K. Marquart, The Horizontal World: Growing Up Wild in the Middle of Nowhere. Reviewed by Robert W. Lewis
- Patrick A. McGuire, Flight of the Odegard.
Reviewed by Roger D. Launius
VOL. 74, NOS. 3 & 4 (2007)
“At Lincoln’s Side: Smith Stimmel’s Personal Reminiscences of Abraham Lincoln,” by the Honorable Frank J. Williams, pp. 2-5.
“My Experiences as a Member of President Lincoln’s Bodyguard, 1863-65,” by Smith Stimmel, pp. 6-16.
“Chief Gall and Abe Lincoln’s Railroad,” by Robert W. Larson, pp. 17-27.
“Sculpting Lincoln,” by Claudia Pratt with Kathleen Davison, pp. 28-44.
CHILDREN'S BOOK REVIEWS
- Zitkala-Sa, Dance in a Buffalo Skull. Reviewed by Gregory Gagnon.
- Donald F. Montileaux, ill., Tatanka and the Lakota People: A Creation Story. Reviewed by Gregory Gagnon.
- L. Frank Baum, The Discontented Gopher. Reviewed by Janet Daley Jury.
- Phillip Lars Manning, Dinomummy: The Life, Death, and Discovery of Dakota, a Dinosaur from Hell Creek. Reviewed by John W. Hoganson.
- M. John Lubetkin, Jay Cooke’s Gamble: The Northern Pacific Railroad, the Sioux, and the Panic of 1873. Reviewed by Richard E. Collin.
- Don L. Hoffsommer, Minneapolis and the Age of Railways. Reviewed by M. John Lubetkin.
- Carla Kelly, ed., On the Upper Missouri: The Journal of Rudolph Friederich Kurz. Reviewed by Raymond Wilson.
- James A. Hanson, When Skins Were Money: A History of the Fur Trade. Reviewed by Bill Hunt.
- John D. W. Guice, ed., By His Own Hand? The Mysterious Death of Meriwether Lewis. Reviewed by Gregory S. Camp.
- Hjalmar Rued Holand, History of the Norwegian Settlements: A Translated and Expanded Version of the 1908 De Norske Settlementers Historie and the 1930 Den Siste Folkevandring Sagastubber fra Nybyggerlived I Amerika. Reviewed by Merlan E. Paaverud, Jr.
- Stan Hoig, White Man’s Paper Trail: Grand Councils and Treaty-Making on the Central Plains. Reviewed by Francis Paul Prucha.
- Virgil W. Dean, An Opportunity Lost: The Truman Administration and the Farm Policy Debate. Reviewed by Jenny Barker-Devine.
- Kathleen Stokker. Remedies and Rituals: Folk Medicine in Norway and the New Land. Reviewed by Betty Bergland.
- Wayne R. Kime, Colonel Richard Irving Dodge: The Live and Times of a Career Army Officer. Reviewed by Sandy Barnard.
- Fr. William Sherman, et. al., ed., Scattered Steeples, Expanded: A Tribute to the Church in North Dakota Through the Years and Also a Commemoration of the Fortieth Anniversary of the Dedication of Cardinal Muench Seminary. Reviewed by James E. Coomber.
- Phillip Lars Manning, Grave Secrets of Dinosaurs: Soft Tissue and Hard Science. Reviewed by Darrin Pagnac.
VOL. 74, NOS. 1 & 2 (2007)
““Never Take Politics Personally”: Governor Allen I. Olson,” Edited by Gerald G. Newborg, pp. 2-35.
“Horsepower and Horse Tracks: The Fargo Auto Races of 1915,” by Daniel J. Simone, pp. 36-43.
- James P. Ronda and Nancy Tystad Koupal, eds. Finding Lewis and Clark: Old Trails, New Directions. Reviewed by Keith Edgerton.
- Rhoda R. Gilman. Henry Hastings Sibley: Divided Heart. Reviewed by Stephen Gross.
- John Price. Not Just Any Land: A Personal and Literary Journey into the American Grassland. Reviewed by Linda Helstern.
- Jon Reyhner and Jeanne Eder. American Indian Education: A History. Reviewed by James T. Carroll.
- Paul A. Johnsgard. Prairie Dog Empire: A Saga of the Shortgrass Prairie. Reviewed by Carolyn E. Grygiel.
- Linea Sundstrom. Storied Stone: Indian Rock Art of the Black Hills Country. Reviewed by Linda Olson.
- William E. Foley. Wilderness Journey: The Life of William Clark. Reviewed by Erik Holland.
- Eli S. Ricker. Voices of the American West, Vol. I: The Indian Interviews of Eli S. Ricker, 1903-1919. Richard E. Jenson, ed. Reviewed by Rick Ewig.
- Eli S. Ricker. Voices of the American West, Vol. II: The Settler and Soldier Interviews of Eli S. Ricker, 1903-1919. Richard E. Jenson, ed. Reviewed by Rick Ewig.
- Dennis Banks with Richard Erdoes. Ojibwa Warrior: Dennis Banks and the Rise of the American Indian Movement. Reviewed by Carole A. Barrett.
- David B. Danbom. Going It Alone: Fargo Grapples with the Great Depression. Reviewed by Fred Viche.
- Roger L. Di Silverstro. In the Shadow of Wounded Knee: The Untold Final Story of the Indian Wars. Reviewed by Richmond L. Clow.
- Thomas N. Ingersoll. To Intermix with Our White Brothers: Indian Mixed Bloods in the United States from Earliest Times to the Indian Removals. Reviewed by Jill Doerfler.
- Brenda K. Jackson. Domesticating the West: The Re-creation of the Nineteenth-Century American Middle Class. Reviewed by Dorothy Pratt.
- Barbara Handy-Marchello. Women of the Northern Plains: Gender and Settlement on the Homestead Frontier, 1870-1930. Reviewed by Lois Phillips Hudson.
- Dennis S. Nordin and Ray V. Scott. From Prairie Farmer to Entrepreneur: The Transformation of Midwestern Agriculture. Reviewed by Hiram M. Drache.
VOL. 73, NOS. 3 & 4 (2006)
“The North Dakota Artwork of General Régis de Trobriand,” by W. Raymond Wood, pp. 2-30.
“General Régis de Trobriand: A Brief Biography,”
“The North Dakota Artwork.”
- Mike Thompson. The Travels and Tribulations of Theodore Roosevelt’s Cabin. Reviewed by George F. Will, Jr.
- Paul VanDevelder. Coyote Warrior: One Man, Three Tribes, and the Trial that Forged a Nation. Reviewed by Robert Russell.
- Robert Vogel. Unequal Contest: Bill Langer and His Political Enemies. Reviewed by Theodore B. Pedeliski.
- Jeffrey Ostler. The Plains Sioux and U.S. Colonialism from Lewis and Clark to Wounded Knee. Reviewed by David Reed Miller.
- Brandon K. Ruud, ed. Karl Bodmer’s North American Prints. Reviewed by Joan Carpenter Troccoli.
- Michael Johnston Grant. Down and Out on the Family Farm: Rural Rehabilitation in the Great Plains, 1919-1945. Reviewed by Kimberly K. Porter.
- Gary E. Moulton, ed. The Lewis and Clark Journal: Am American Epic of Discovery. Reviewed by Clay S. Jenkinson.
- Dayton Duncan. Scenes of Visionary Enchantment: Reflections on Lewis and Clark. Reviewed by John L. Allen.
- Robert P. Watson, ed. George McGovern: A Political Life, a Political Legacy. Reviewed by Jeffrey A. Johnson.
- David J. Wishart, ed. Encyclopedia of the Great Plains. Reviewed by Paul Picha.
- Jill Marie Koelling. Digital Imaging: A Practical Approach. Reviewed by Sharon Silengo.
- R. Eli Paul. Blue Water Creek and the First Sioux War, 1854-1856. Reviewed by Gregory F. Michno.
- Thomas Constantine Maroukis. Peyote and the Yankton Sioux: The Life and Times of Sam Necklace. Reviewed by Herbert T. Hoover.
- Charles H. Walker, Combat Officer: A Memoir of War in the South Pacific. Reviewed by Richard Stenberg.
- Ashely Shelby. Red River Rising: The Anatomy of a Flood and the Survival of an American City. Reviewed by Terry Shoptaugh.
- Jane Varley. Flood Stage Rising. Reviewed by Terry Shoptaugh.
- Carol Higham and Robert Thacker, eds. One West, Two Myths: a Comparative Reader. Reviewed by William E. Lass.
VOL. 73, NOS. 1 & 2 (2006)
“Dinosaurs, Sharks, and Wolly Mammoths: Glimpses of Life in North Dakota's Prehistoric Past” by John W. Hoganson
- North Dakota's Primordial Seas
- North Dakota's Cretaceous Underwater World
- When Dinosaurs Ruled the Hell Creek Delta
- The K-T Boundary Extinction
- North Dakota Everglades
- North Dakota Savanna
- The Great Ice Age
- The Holocene: A Reprieve from the Ice Age
VOL. 72, NOS. 3 & 4 (2005)
“Family, Politics, and Show Business: The Photographs of Sitting Bull,” Markus H. Lindner, pp. 2-21.
“Behind the Lens,” Frank E. Vyzralek, pp. 22-24.
“Missing in Action: A Family’s Experience during World War II,” Terry L. Shoptaugh, pp. 25-37.
“Triumph and Tragedy: The Return Home,” Gregory S. Camp, pp. 38-57.
- Steven L. Piott. Giving Voters a Voice: The Origins of the Initiative and Referendum in America. Reviewed by Charles M. Barber.
- Colin G. Calloway. One Vast Winter Count: The Native American West before Lewis and Clark. Reviewed by Raymond A. Bucko.
- Colin F. Taylor and Hugh A. Dempsey, eds. The People of the Buffalo: The Plains Indians of North America. Vol. 1, Military Art, Warfare, and Change: Essays in Honor of John C. Ewers. Reviewed by W. Raymond Wood.
- Sandra L. Brizée-Bowen. For All to See: The Little Bighorn Battle in Plains Indian Art. Reviewed by Castle McLaughlin.
- Elin Woodger and Brandon Toropov. Encyclopedia of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Reviewed by Bethany Andreasen.
- Castle McLaughlin. Arts of Diplomacy: Lewis and Clark’s Indian Collection. Reviewed by Chris Dill.
- Richard O. Davies, Joseph A. Amato, and David R. Pichaske, eds. A Place Called Home: Writings on the Midwestern Small Town. Reviewed by Miles D. Lewis.
- Valerie Sherer Mathes and Richard Lowitt. The Standing Bear Controversy: Prelude to Indian Reform. Reviewed by David Reed Miller.
- Stephen Dow Beckham, Doug Erickson, Jeremy Skinner, and Paul Merchant. The Literature of the Lewis and Clark Expedition: A Bibliography and Essays. Reviewed by Elliott West.
- Bonnie Sue Lewis. Creating Christian Indians: Native Clergy in the Presbyterian Church. Reviewed by Dale Stover.
- Amos E. Oneroad and Alanson B. Skinner. Being Dakota: Tales & Traditions of the Sisseton & Wahpeton. Reviewed by Gregory O. Gagnon.
VOL. 72, NOS. 1 & 2 (2005)
“Guardian of the Land: Arthur A. Link" edited by Gerald G. Newborg
“The Corps of Discovery and the Final Challenges in Rechanging the Pacific Ocean" by Gregory S. Camp
- Tracey Potter. Sheheke, Mandan Indian Diplomat: The Story of White Coyote, Thomas Jefferson, and Lewis and Clark. Reviewed by Raymond Cross.
- Darrin J. Rodgers. Northern Harvest: Pentecostalism in North Dakota. Reviewed by Reverend Daniel Maloney, O.S.B.
- James J. Holmberg. Dear Brother: Letters of William Clark to Jonathan Clark. Reviewed by Peter Plodgett.
- Claire Strom. Profiting from the Plains: The Great Northern Railway and Corporate Development of the West. Reviewed by Shelton Stromquist.
- Audrey K. Wendland. Florence: The True Story of a Country Schoolteacher in Minnesota and North Dakota. Reviewed by Winifred DeLong.
- W. Raymond Wood. Prologue to Lewis & Clark: The Mackay and Evans Expedition. Reviewed by Thomas D. Thiessen.
- Diane D. Quantic and P. Jane Hafen, eds. A Great Plains Reader. Reviewed by Robert W. Lewis.
- Paul A. Johnsgard. Great Wildlife of the Great Plains.
Reviewed by H. Ted Upgren, Jr.
- Paul A. Johnsgard and Bob Gress. Faces of the Great Plains: Prairie Wildlife.
Reviewed by H. Ted Upgren, Jr.
- Marilyn Irvin Hold. Children of the Western Plains: The Nineteenth-Century Experience. Reviewed by Linda Peavy and Ursula Smith.
- Jennifer Sinor. The Extraordinary Work of Ordinary Writing: Annie Ray's Diary. Reviewed by Elizabeth Hampsten.
- Maxwell Van Nuys. Inkpaduta - The Scarlet Point: Terror of the Dakota Frontier and Secret Hero of the Sioux. Reviewed by Gregory S. Camp.