At this time, the North Dakota State Historic Preservation Office does not have an online, searchable database of listed properties. The National Park Service maintains the National Register of Historic Places database, which can be accessed here: http://nrhp.focus.nps.gov/natreghome.do?searchtype=natreghome.
For now, resources that are within a listed historic district are not searchable. If you want to check if a property is within an historic district, please call the Historic Preservation Division at 701.328.2089 and have the property's street address at hand.
North Dakota Properties listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2016:
In 1936, Works Progress Administration (WPA) funds helped build the Zeeland Hall. This community center is significant for its Colonial Revival architecture, its connection with federal work relief construction programs from the Depression Era, and for its rich heritage as the location of many community events, such as movies, sporting events, weddings, and dances throughout its history.
The Creaser Building on the corner of Main Street and Broadway in Williston is being nominated for its architecture. Built in 1916, this striking early commercial brick building has distinct cream and red brick bands running horizontally along both street sides. It also has pilasters separating bays and diagonal blond brick centered near the top of each bay. The building’s early long-time tenants were Creaser Drug, J.B. Lyon’s Women’s Wear Exterior and the Colonial Shop.
St. Michael’s Parochial School in Grand Forks was built in three sections as the needs of the school and of the local community changed. The original 1916 school was designed by William J. Edwards and built by the Dinnie Brothers, the 1949 Youth Center and the 1953 addition that connected the Youth Center to the school were designed by Ursa Louis Freed. This school complex tells the story of parochial education and shows the transition from early 20th Century school architecture to mid-Century modernist architecture.
The Black Building in Fargo was already recognized as one of the most significant historic properties within the Downtown Fargo Historic District but the owners chose to pursue the honor of individual listing for its architecture and for its association with George Mumford Black and his strategies in commerce and communications. Black had the upper floor of the Art Moderne building designed for WDAY radio and ensured the station signed off each show with “this is WDAY with from the Black Building, Fargo” and he is credited with creating the one-cent sale.
New National Historic Landmark (NHL)
The NHL Program uses the same criteria for listing as the National Register of Historic Places but has the additional requirements that the historic place be significant at the national level and that it possesses a high level of historic integrity. There are currently more than 2,500 NHLs in the United States and seven of them are in North Dakota.
The Biesterfeldt Site in Ransom County, North Dakota, is an earth lodge village site culturally identifiable as having been occupied by the Cheyenne Indians ca. 1724-1780. As the only known representative of that relatively brief period in their history during which they pursued a horticultural way of life, the archeological site has the potential to yield critical information on the history of that tribe and various neighboring tribes. Biesterfeldt also has the potential to inform us about the development of Plains Indian culture during a period of intense and dramatic change. (As described by the Office of the Secretary of the Interior)
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
State Museum and Store: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
We are closed New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
We will also be closed on Christmas Eve this year.
State Archives: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M-F, except state holidays; 2nd Sat. of each month, 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
State Historical Society offices: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F, except state holidays.