Cantonments, Fort Abercrombie, June 1860
SAHRL - Harper’s New Monthly Magazine,
August 1860, Vol.21, page 306
Siege of Fort Abercrombie
North of Graham’s Point, as we rounded a turn of the river, whose wooded margin had concealed it from us hitherto, we came in sight of Fort Abercrombie–that is, of the one building erected for the commander’s quarters and the canvas store-houses, which are built upon the prairie near the river bank.
The log-houses, which officers and privates at present occupy, are all built in a quadrangle upon a pear-shaped promontory, surrounded by water, and a trifle lower than the level of the prairie.
Click here for more information about Fort Abercrombie's History.