The State Archives will be closed Nov. 10-11 in observance of Veterans Day.
SHSND Home > Archives > Archives Holdings > Archives & Manuscripts > Family/Local History > 10958 > Box 174

OCLC WorldCat Logo

Digital Horizons

Federal Depository Library Program

Manuscripts by Subject - Family / Local History - #10958 - Box 174

Box 174

1 James Memorial Library 14 prints of the interior and exterior of the James Memorial Library and portraits of D. Willis James, Arthur Curtis James, Bessie Baldwin, Mrs. Ben Whitehead, Mrs. Kuenning and James J. Hill, as well as 1 screened negative of the West Plains Rural Library and Bookmobile
2 11 prints – 3 are prints of the Sons of Norway presentation to the James Memorial Library that were sent to Arnold Anderson from Shemorry, a portrait of Eugene Burdick, and interior views of the James Memorial Library with children reading and checking out books during National Book week in November 1949; Ariel view overlooking downtown Williston, N.D. taken in 1948 with an arrow pointing to the Old W.B. Overson Building which once was the home of Book & Thimble Club Library; and view of a girl holding a book titled This is Paris and looking at a world globe (Print 174-2-4 matches print 1-22-2 of Eugene Burdick)
3 Exterior of the James Memorial Library before and after the addition, and a copy of the article “James Memorial Library is one of the Finest in the State of North Dakota” published in The Williston Herald - 5 prints, three of which are 11 x 14”
4 Libraries – 14 prints: James Memorial, Williston High School library, University of North Dakota - Williston, West Plains Library Bookmobile, and Rural library: children, students and librarians inside libraries taken in 1970
5 James Memorial Library - 21 negatives and 1 screened negative: Decorating Christmas Tree about 1955, James Memorial Library in 1952 before addition, library about 1950, Florence Kearns Librarian, interior of library, reading class for children, display on table, Rural mobile unit about 1950s; and November 17, 1949, library interiors, kiddies corner, reading and checking out books
6 James Memorial Library – 4 prints and 15 negatives: construction shot of new addition, Library exterior before and after addition, with new addition in 1960?, group of men could be dedication of Burdick wing or library board or both; and 9/15/1961 interior and exterior of West Plains Rural Library bookmobile
7 Libraries - James Memorial Library, Book & Thimble Club library; Jap armor – owned by Mrs. Bill W.L. Overson within the library and 1st card – Edmund Shemorry story from Leona Gauther 1939; Assistant Librarian Mary C. Shemorry; Copy of Williston Graphic article on James J. Hill visit to Williston, 1887 published in 1910; Williston Daily Herald July 1992 front page article on James Memorial group seeks non-profit status; Draft article on The Old Library; story written by Miss Bessie R. Baldwin in 1929; History Remembered article by Shemorry titled Library opening was a social event published in the Plains Reporter on 10/12/1983; The Prism, Williston’s Monthly Magazine from October 1983; Library Personnel Directory for Divide, McKenzie and Williams County; draft articles; Bylaws of the James Memorial Preservation Society, Inc.; and Copies of newspaper articles about the Williston Library published 1911, 1916, 1953, 1958, 1972, and 1991.
8 James Memorial Library and Book ‘N Thimble Club library – brochure for the James Memorial Center for Visual Arts; copies of newspaper articles, newspaper clippings, History Remembered articles by Shemorry including Williston’s great cultural experiment on the old Book and Thimble Club published 10/25/1983; research, and article drafts
9 Williston Plains Reporter newspapers from 10/25/1983, 3/8/1978, 4/26/1972, 4/21/1971, 4/15/1970, 4/24/1968, and 11/19/1975 with information on the library; and a Williams County Farmers Press newspaper from 3/26/1953
10 James Memorial Library - 25 negatives – portraits of Willis James, Arthur Curtis James, Miss. Bessie Baldwin, Mrs. Ben Whitehead, Mrs. Kueming; and children reading about 1960s in James Memorial Library

Address:
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
Get Directions

Hours:
State Museum and Store: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
We are closed New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
We will also be closed on Christmas Eve this year.
State Archives: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M-F, except state holidays; 2nd Sat. of each month, 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
State Historical Society offices: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F, except state holidays.

Contact Us:
phone: 701.328.2666
email: histsoc@nd.gov