The Heritage Center west entrance (former lobby) will be temporarily closed beginning Monday, Sept. 29. Please use the new east entrance (Northern Lights Atrium).

SHSND Home > Press Room > Stutsman County Courthouse Contract Awarded
go to calendar of events
calendar
of events

 

sign up for e-newsletter
sign up for
e-newsletter

 

go to media room / rss feeds
subscribe to
podcasts & videocasts

Press Release - Stutsman County Courthouse Contract Awarded

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Fern Swenson
September 26, 2012
701.328.3575

Historic Stutsman County Courthouse Lead Paint Removal Contract Awarded

BISMARCK – The State Historical Society of North Dakota received four bids for the mold/asbestos/lead base paint abatement for the basement at the Historic Stutsman County Courthouse in Jamestown, ND. MAVO Systems of Mandan is the successful low bidder and will begin work at the courthouse on Oct. 1, 2012. The total contract for the work is $141,368.

The project is possible through a combination of state and private funding. This continues the partnership between the 1883 Courthouse Committee and the State Historical Society of North Dakota to ensure the preservation and adaptive reuse of this outstanding architectural style. The Historic Stutsman County Courthouse was constructed in 1883 and is one of only two remaining brick courthouses of the Gothic Revival Style (Griggs County Courthouse is the second). Plans for the building were funded by Anton Klaus, the “Father of Jamestown,” and it was intended to be a monument to the enterprise of the citizens.

Barbara Lang of the Historic Stutsman County Courthouse Preservation Committee stated, “We are delighted to see this project move forward and to have this marvelous structure continue to be a monument to the people.” The Historic Stutsman County Courthouse Committee has committed $58,900 toward the project with the remainder of the funds coming from the state.

Merlan Paaverud, director of the State Historical Society of North Dakota, stated, “These partnerships make projects feasible and show the local commitment to the preservation of all too rare historic properties that are irreplaceable.”

Other projects completed in the courthouse this summer by the State Historical Society include the removal of temporary electrical wiring, installation of new power sources in the basement, a concrete wall for better fire separation, and landscaping and re-grading the grounds of the courthouse to prevent moisture seepage into the building.

For more information, contact the State Historical Society of North Dakota at 701.328.3575.

- 30 -

Address:
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
Get Directions

Hours:
State Museum and Store: 8am - 5pm M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10am - 5pm.
State Archives: 8am - 4:30pm., M-F, except state holidays, and 2nd Sat. of each month, 10am - 4:30 pm.
State Historical Society offices: 8am - 5pm M-F, except state holidays.

Contact Us:
phone: (701) 328-2666
fax: (701) 328-3710
email: histsoc@nd.gov