FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 15, 2015
Contact: Lorna Meidinger
BISMARCK – One church has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places and an one courthouse has been removed from the list. The National Register of Historic Places is the federal government’s list of properties it considers worthy of preservation and recognition.
St. Olaf Lutheran Church in Devils Lake was designed by Joseph A. Shannon in the Late Gothic Style and built in 1930. Shannon began practicing in Devils Lake in 1906 and was one of the first architects licensed to practice architecture in North Dakota after the licensing law passed in 1917. Shannon was prominent in the Devils Lake area, very involved in the profession as president of the North Dakota State Board of Architecture, and St. Olaf Lutheran Church is a very different design from his main body of work.
Remodeling of the Slope County Courthouse (original) in Amidon resulted in the building losing the feeling, materials, and design it had during its period of historical significance. Therefore, the courthouse has been removed from the National Register. Contrary to some misconceptions about the National Register program, listing in it does not prevent owners from altering their property, restricting the use or sale of the property, or establish times requiring that the property must be open to the public. Entry into the National Register of Historic Places does give a property prestige, provides protection from federally-assisted projects, and provides eligibility for certain preservation financial incentives.
- 30 -
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
State Museum and Store: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
We are closed New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
We will also be closed on Christmas Eve this year.
State Archives: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M-F, except state holidays; 2nd Sat. of each month, 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
State Historical Society offices: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F, except state holidays.