FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 30, 2014
Contact: Lorna Meidinger
BISMARCK – A hotel, homestead, and two border stations have been listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The National Register of Historic Places is the federal government’s list of properties it considers worthy of preservation and recognition.
The Hotel Brown in Flasher has had numerous names since it was built in 1910 but it is remembered as the local gathering place for travelers and locals, especially in the 1930s and 1940s. It is one of the oldest buildings in the community in its original location and it still serves the community by providing lodging.
The Freborg Homestead near Underwood includes the 10 acres where the farm buildings sit, most of which were built before 1940. This homestead retains a very high level of integrity and offers an excellent view into how many North Dakotan farms were established.
The U.S. Inspection Stations at Ambrose and St. John were nominated by the General Services Administration- Public Building Services and listed for their association with the U.S. Government’s first effort to improve border security with purpose-built inspection stations. These stations also retain integrity of their Colonial Revival architectural design.
Contrary to some misconceptions about the National Register program, listing in it does not prevent owners from altering their property, restricting the use or sale of the property, or establish times requiring that the property must be open to the public. Entry into the National Register of Historic Places does give a property prestige, provides protection from federally-assisted projects, and provides eligibility for certain preservation financial incentives.
For more information about the National Register program in North Dakota, contact Architectural Historian Lorna Meidinger, State Historical Society of North Dakota, at 701.328.2089 or find information online at history.nd.gov.
- 30 -
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
State Museum and Store: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
We are closed New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
We will also be closed on Christmas Eve this year.
State Archives: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M-F, except state holidays; 2nd Sat. of each month, 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
State Historical Society offices: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F, except state holidays.