SHSND Home > Press Room > Public Invited To Annual Meeting of FGM Supporters
go to calendar of events
of events


sign up for e-newsletter
sign up for


go to media room / rss feeds
subscribe to
podcasts & videocasts

Press Release - Public Invited To Annual Meeting of FGM Supporters

Contact: Bruce Hagen
October 1, 2012

Public Invited To Attend Annual Meeting of Former Governorsí Mansion Supporters

BISMARCK – The public is invited to attend the annual meeting of the supporters of the Former Governors’ Mansion State Historic Site in Bismarck. The meeting will be held in the mansion on Thursday, October 18, at 7 p.m.

Anyone interested in supporting the site by joining its support group, the Society for the Preservation of the Former Governors’ Mansion, is encouraged to attend. Annual dues are $5.

The election of board members will take place during the meeting, as well as other Society business. The evening’s entertainment will be Albert Landsberger, who will play the piano following the meeting. Coffee and cookies will be served.

The Former Governors’ Mansion will open at 6 p.m. for anyone interested in a self-guided tour of the mansion and carriage house prior to the meeting. The Former Governors’ Mansion State Historic Site is located at the corner of Fourth Street and Avenue B in Bismarck, and is open year-round. Its winter hours, now in place through May 15, are the second Friday and Saturday of each month, from 1 to 5 p.m. Admission is free.

Visitors will also be able to enjoy the restored carriage house, dedicated during the 2004 annual lawn party. Restoration of the exterior of the building recreates its appearance in 1903, when it was built. The interior of the building was rehabilitated to create an exhibit area and an ADA-accessible restroom. The featured exhibit, “From Buckets of Oats to Quarts of Oil,” represents a time of transition from the age of the horse and buggy to the era of the automobile.

The site consists of a two-and-one-half story restored Victorian house and a restored 1903 carriage house. Built in 1884, it housed 20 chief executives of North Dakota between 1893 and 1960. Unique exhibits feature the restoration process, architectural style changes, and furniture used by several governors. It is one of 55 state historic sites managed by the state’s history agency, the State Historical Society of North Dakota.

For schedule information, contact the State Historical Society at 701.328.1476 or visit the agency’s web site at

- 30 -

612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
Get Directions

State Museum and Store: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
We are closed New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
We will also be closed on Christmas Eve this year.
State Archives: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M-F, except state holidays; 2nd Sat. of each month, 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
State Historical Society offices: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F, except state holidays.

Contact Us:
phone: 701.328.2666