Stutsman County Courthouse, located at 504 Third Avenue SE in Jamestown, is the oldest surviving courthouse in North Dakota and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. During the days of the Dakota Territory, meetings were held in the courthouse in preparation for statehood. The building is considered a superb but rare example in the Upper Midwest of the Gothic-Revival style of architecture. The interior is outstanding for its stamped metal ornamentation that dates to 1905.
Designed by Henry C. Koch, a Wisconsin architect who worked as General Philip H. Sheridan’s topographic engineer during the Civil War, the courthouse construction was completed in 1883. An addition designed by Gilbert R. Horton, a Jamestown architect, was added on the rear of the courthouse in 1926 to handle the growing needs of Stutsman County. The building served as the center of county government until the early 1980s when a new courthouse was built, adjoining and incorporating the earlier addition.
Restoration efforts have stabilized the exterior of the courthouse. Rehabilitation is dependent upon future availability of funds. To make a contribution to the restoration of this significant monument, contact the State Historical Society of North Dakota, 612 E. Boulevard Ave., Bismarck, North Dakota, 58205, or call (701) 328-2666.
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
Museum Store: 8am - 5pm M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10am - 5pm.
State Archives: 8am - 4:30pm., M-F, except state holidays, and 2nd Sat. of each month, 10am - 4:30 pm.
State Historical Society offices: 8am - 5pm M-F, except state holidays.
phone: (701) 328-2666
fax: (701) 328-3710