Buffalo Creek State Historic Site, in west-central Cass County, commemorates a point crossed by Sibley’s expedition on August 15, 1863, on their way to Fort Abercrombie at the end of their summer campaign. This was not, however, the full expeditionary force that had entered Dakota Territory on July 2, 1863. Colonel Samuel McPhail and his 1st Minnesota Mounted Rangers were scouting down the James River and would return to Minnesota by a different route.
After leaving Camp Arnold, Sibley’s men marched nine miles southeast in the growing heat of a mid-August day. The expedition crossed the Maple River and continued another three and one-half miles to Camp Stevens, where they stayed the night. The expedition was about to leave Dakota Territory, after marching nearly one thousand miles, fighting three major battles and several skirmishes, and losing nine soldiers. It is estimated that they killed approximately three hundred Indians.
The modern Buffalo Creek State Historic Site is located about one-eighth mile east of the Maple River and about two miles northwest of the town of Buffalo. It is marked by a bronze plaque mounted on a boulder on the north edge of a gravel road. The plaque noting the expedition’s crossing was installed in 1927 by the Dacotah Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
Museum Store: 8am - 5pm M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10am - 5pm.
State Archives: 8am - 4:30pm., M-F, except state holidays, and 2nd Sat. of each month, 10am - 4:30 pm.
State Historical Society offices: 8am - 5pm M-F, except state holidays.
phone: (701) 328-2666
fax: (701) 328-3710