go to exhibit home page go to history section go to objects section go to shields section

Marche shieldMarche

(marsh) (pron: marsh)

Capital: Guéret (pron: gay-ray)
French annexation: 1531

Used around 1360 by Count Jacques, who inherited the fief, this shield combines the royal banner with three lions from the old arms of the province, those of the Lusignan family.

Marche provincial map