Fort Union was built in 1828 near the confluence of the Yellowstone and Missouri Rivers in what is today northwest North Dakota. Established first as Fort Floyd, the site became the flagship fur trade operation for the American Fur Company of St. Louis. By the mid-1830's, the fort was a major trade site, attracting a wide number of Native American groups such as the Assiniboine, Blackfeet, various Dakota bands, as well as the Mandan, and Hidatsa. Fort Union was closed as a trade operation in 1866.
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
State Museum and Store: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
We are closed New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
We will also be closed on Christmas Eve this year.
State Archives: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M-F, except state holidays; 2nd Sat. of each month, 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
State Historical Society offices: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F, except state holidays.