NORTH DAKOTA STATE FLAG COMMISSION
The North Dakota State Flag Commission was created in 1951 (S. L. 1951, Ch. 303)
and consisted of five members appointed by the Governor to serve until December 31, 1952. The purpose of the State Flag Commission was to "make a thorough and searching study of the North Dakota state flag, its origin, measuring, and its suitability as an emblem, symbolic of the state of North Dakota." The Commission was required to prepare drawings or designs and submit any suggested changes for consideration by the 33rd Legislative Assembly in 1953.
The Commission submitted a report to Governor Norman Brunsdale in December 1951. The report indicated that the 1911 design of the state flag (based on the First North Dakota Infantry Regimental flag carried by North Dakota troops in the Spanish-American War and the Philippine Insurrection) was inappropriate. The Commission recommended that the state flag be replaced by a flag designed by Clell Gannon of Bismarck. The design for the new flag was green and gold and included a sunset and a sheaf of wheat.
Legislation to adopt the Commission's flag design failed in the 1953 Legislative Session. The present state flag, which is nearly identical to the 1911 state flag design, was officially confirmed and described in 1959 legislation (S. L. 1959, Ch. 367).
Gray, David P. Guide to the North Dakota State Archives, 1985.
North Dakota Century Code 54-02-02.
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
State Museum and Store: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
We are closed New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
We will also be closed on Christmas Eve this year.
State Archives: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M-F, except state holidays; 2nd Sat. of each month, 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
State Historical Society offices: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F, except state holidays.