A minor element of the 1919 Nonpartisan League reform of state government, the State Experimental Creamery was created "to promote the development of the dairy industry of the state, especially through the manufacturing and marketing of dairy products" (S. L. 1919, Ch. 149). Under the supervision of the Commissioner of Agriculture and Labor, the State Experimental Creamery leased creamery operations and conducted tests on cream and butter processing and marketing techniques. Branch experimental creameries were established in Werner, Dunn Center, and Killdeer.
The law creating the State Experimental Creamery required creameries, and cheese, ice cream, and butter factories to report to the Commissioner of Agriculture and Labor the volume of butter produced or received quarterly. Creameries and other dairy product producers were assessed fifty cents for every one thousand pounds of butterfat produced or received. The assessed funds were collected by the Commissioner of Agriculture and Labor, deposited in the State Experimental Creamery Fund, and used to defray the cost of operating the experimental creameries.
Much controversy surrounded operations of the State Experimental Creamery. In actual operation from June 1, 1920, to December 31, 1921, the State Experimental Creamery lost considerable money. Operations of the State Experimental Creamery were suspended early in 1922 and the agency was repealed in 1923 (S. L. 1923, Ch. 197).
1919 State Legislature creates the State Experimental Creamery.
1920-1921 Creamery operates from June 1, 1920 to December 31, 1921.
1923 State Legislature repeals the law and operations cease.
31035 Daily Cream Reports
31036 Butterfat Reports
30063 Purchase Ledger
31037 Financial Records
Gray, David P. Guide to the North Dakota State Archives, 1985.
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
State Museum and Store: 8am - 5pm M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10am - 5pm.
We are closed New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
State Archives: 8am - 4:30pm., M-F, except state holidays, and 2nd Sat. of each month, 10am - 4:30 pm.
State Historical Society offices: 8am - 5pm M-F, except state holidays.
phone: (701) 328-2666
fax: (701) 328-3710