BOARD OF CAPITOL COMMISSIONERS
The Board of Capitol Commissioners was created in 1893 (S. L. 1893, Ch. 29) to coordinate the construction of the south wing of the State Capitol. The Commission members included the Governor, Secretary of State, and the State Auditor. The Board of Capitol Commissioners was authorized to oversee the construction of the north wing of the State Capitol in 1903.
A new Board of Capitol Commissioners was created in 1905 (S. L. 1905, Ch. 166) and consisted of three gubernatorial appointees. The duties of the Board of Capitol Commissioners were to review and select plans, architects, and contractors for remodeling the Capitol and construction of a Governor's residence.
After destruction of the State Capitol by fire on December 28, 1930, the State Legislature authorized a Board of State Capitol Commissioners consisting of three members appointed by the Governor to supervise construction of a new State Capitol (S. L. 1931, Ch. 205). A reorganization in 1933 designated the Board of Administration to serve as the Board of State Capitol Commissioners (S. L. 1933, Ch. 185). The Board of State Capitol Commissioners supervised construction of the present State Capitol completed in 1934.
1893 Board of Capitol Commissioners was created.
1905 Board of Capitol Commissioners was reorganized.
1931 Board of State Capitol Commissioners was created.
1933 Board of Administration was designated to serve as the Board of State Capitol Commissioners.
30056 Capitol Line Daily Reports
Gray, David P. Guide to the North Dakota State Archives, 1985.
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
State Museum and Store: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
We are closed New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
We will also be closed on Christmas Eve this year.
State Archives: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M-F, except state holidays; 2nd Sat. of each month, 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
State Historical Society offices: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F, except state holidays.