SHSND Home > Archives > Archives Holdings > Photographs > Collections > 2014-P-009

OCLC WorldCat Logo

Digital Horizons

Federal Depository Library Program

Photographs - Collections - 2014 - #2014-P-009

Title: Edgar Leopold Morrow     

Dates: ca. 1920s

Collection Number:  2014-P-009

Quantity: 2 items

Abstract: Black and white photographs of Edgar Leopold Morrow (1869-1937) in his harness shop in Kenmare (ND). The collection has been digitized.

Provenance: The collection was donated to the State Historical Society of North Dakota by John Mogren on April 15, 2014.

Property Rights: The State Historical Society of North Dakota owns the property rights to this collection.
Copyrights: Copyrights to materials in this collection remain with the donor, publisher, author, or author's heirs.  Researchers should consult the 1976 Copyright Act, Public Law 94-553, Title 17, U.S. Code and an archivist at this repository if clarification of copyright requirements is needed.
Access: This collection is open under the rules and regulations of the State Historical Society of North Dakota.
Citation: Researchers are requested to cite the collection title, collection number, and the State Historical Society of North Dakota in all footnote and bibliographic references.       


Edgar Leopold Morrow was born to William & Sarah (Elliott) Morrow on November 23, 1869, in Hagersville, Ontario, Canada. Edgar worked in the harness maker trade when he was eighteen years old at Boissevain, Manitoba. In 1901, Edgar emigrated to the United States as did his brothers and sister-in-law, John Ambrose and Elizabeth Morrow, and Patrick H. Morrow. John returned to Canada in 1909.

On March 20, 1902, Edgar filed a homestead claim in (20-159-88) Baden Township, Ward County, North Dakota. There was no Baden when he first settled and the nearest town was Kenmare, which was six miles northwest of his homestead Edgar's brother, Patrick also homesteaded in Baden Township, section 26. Edgar worked two years for E. N. Erickson in his harness shop in Kenmare. In 1904, Edgar bought out the Erickson Harness Shop. By 1907, Edgar had two full time harness makers employed at his business. He also sold saddles, blankets, whips and other things associated with horses. On April 9, 1914, the Kenmare Journal reported “Ed Morrow's harness shop is one of the busiest places in town with 3 men on the job besides Ed himself, and even Ed's worse enemies say that he occasionally does some work. A rush order for ten sets of handmade harness, together with the usual heavy spring repairing business but the force on the jump.”

In January 1915, he began the construction of a two-story 20x30-foot addition to the rear of his shop. This area became his workroom and the original store was used for display and sales. The Morrow Harness Shop was later occupied for several years as the Johnson Produce Company.

This wood frame building stood east of the Geiger Motor Company and was razed in April 1947.
Irvin Purdy recalls going into the Morrow Harness shop to speak with his uncle, John Norrell who was employed there. Irvin stated he enjoyed the wonderful smell in the winter when the men were oiling the harnesses and he remembers Morrow as a "short solid man."

Edgar died September 17, 1937 at the Kenmare Hospital. He was buried in an unmarked grave in Rosehill Cemetery, near Kenmare.

612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
Get Directions

State Museum and Store: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
We are closed New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
We will also be closed on Christmas Eve this year.
State Archives: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M-F, except state holidays; 2nd Sat. of each month, 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
State Historical Society offices: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F, except state holidays.

Contact Us:
phone: 701.328.2666