SHSND Home > Archives > Archives Holdings > Archives & Manuscripts > Religion > 11261

OCLC WorldCat Logo

Digital Horizons

Federal Depository Library Program

Manuscripts by Subject - Religion - #11261

Title: Farland (N.D.) Lutheran Church

Dates: 1909-1996

Collection Number: MSS 11261

Quantity: .75 ft.

Abstract: Records consist of founding documents, membership information, lists of baptisms and marriages, minutes, annual meeting information, correspondence, pastor's reports, church histories, records relating to the dissolution of the church, programs, bulletins, financial records, a photograph, and records of the Farland Ladies' Aid, Young People's meetings, and Farland Lutheran League.

Provenance: The Farland Lutheran Church (Farland, McKenzie County, N.D.) records were donated to the State Historical Society of North Dakota by Daniel Stenberg on June 3, 2015. 

Property rights: The State Historical Society of North Dakota owns the property rights to the collection.

Copyrights: Copyrights to materials in this collection remain with the donor, publisher, author, or author's heirs. Researchers should consult the 1976 Copyright Act, Public Law 94-553, Title 17, U.S. Code and an archivist at this repository if clarification of copyright requirements is needed. Permission to use any radio or television broadcast portions of the collection must be sought from the creator.

Access: This collection is open under the rules and regulations of the State Historical Society of North Dakota.

Citation: Researchers are requested to cite the collection title, collection number, and the State Historical Society of North Dakota in all footnote and bibliographic references.

Related Collections:
MSS 10285 Western North Dakota District of the American Lutheran Church

HISTORICAL SKETCH

On January 23, 1909, a meeting was held at the Jens G. Walla home to organize a Norwegian Lutheran congregation. The original congregation consisted of 28 members. The church was originally called the Norsk Evangelisk Luthersk Menighed. The Farland Ladies Aid was organized on January 20, 1909, with five members, with the goal of raising money for the church. The parish joined with the Spring Creek and Watford City congregations in 1933, and with the Banks Parish (Garden Valley, Banks and Garden Churches) in 1942. Church members voted to dissolve the Farland Norwegian Evangelical Church (Farland Lutheran Church) in the spring of 1996.

BOX / FOLDER INVENTORY

Box 1:
1 Constitution, ca. 1909
2 Minutes, 1909-1942
3 Account book with membership information, 1911-1959
4 Minutes, 1943-1996
5 Financial Ledger, 1949-1966
6 Dissolution of the church, 1996
7 Miscellaneous: lists of baptisms and marriages, bulletins, photograph, annual meeting information, correspondence, pastors reports, histories, and programs, ca. 1930s-1990s

Box 2:
1 Farland Ladies' Aid records, 1909-1913
2 Farland Ladies' Aid records, 1920-1959
3 Farland Ladies' Aid records, 1943-1967
4 Young People's meetings/Farland Lutheran League records, 1927-1951

Address:
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
Get Directions

Hours:
State Museum and Store: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
We are closed New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
We will also be closed on Christmas Eve this year.
State Archives: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M-F, except state holidays; 2nd Sat. of each month, 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
State Historical Society offices: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F, except state holidays.

Contact Us:
phone: 701.328.2666
email: histsoc@nd.gov