SHSND Home > Archives > Archives Holdings > Archives & Manuscripts > Religion > 11181

OCLC WorldCat Logo

Digital Horizons

Federal Depository Library Program

Manuscripts by Subject - Religion - #11181

Title: St. Olaf Lutheran Church of Deering (ND)

Dates: 1907-1971

Collection Number: 11181

Quantity:  1microfilm roll (#17086)

Abstract: Records consist of one Ministerial Log that contains baptism, confirmation, marriage, death, communicants, and membership records, as well as a calendar of events and a Ladies Aid Society book of minutes, photographs, and history. Some of the Ministerial Log is in Norwegian.

Provenance: The records were borrowed for microfilming and returned to Elaine Hetland, Deering (ND).

The State Archives, State Historical Society of North Dakota, is the publisher of this microfilm edition. The camera negative is the property of the State Archives.

Microfilm Access
: The Records of St. Olaf Lutheran Church of Deering, North Dakota, MSS 11181, microfilm edition is available for use by researchers at the State Archives or through Inter Library Loan. Copies may be purchased at the State Archives, State Historical Society of North Dakota, 612 E. Boulevard Ave., Bismarck, North Dakota 58505.

Duplication Restriction
: No duplication of the microfilm (except paper copies) may be made without written permission from the State Archives.

Finding Aid
: Preceding each item, target papers have been filmed to show the dates and indicate any existing damage, which may or may not affect the quality of the microfilm image.

Citation
: Any publication or other public use of materials reproduced from the holdings of the State Archives must credit the State Archives.

AGENCY SKETCH
From the Ladies Aid Society volume:

“Our present church sprung up from the combining of two groups known then as the Spring Coulee Lutheran – often called the Johnson and Grondahl Church – and St. Olaf. The Spring Coulee congregation met at the school house then located on the quarter line east of the Strobel farm.

 When the township consolidated their school and put up the Grilley School the Spring Coulee Church brought the school building they had been using and moved it half of a mile west and a mile north, up by the Anton Olson farm. The cemetery is still there.

Then when the two churches went together and build St. Olaf Church, Spring Coulee sold their building to Chas. Weisman who moved it onto his farm and made a house of it.

When the St. Olaf Church was built in 1910, land for the church and cemetery was given by Noy Hemsing. There is land laying both east and south of the yard that is fenced in that belongs to the church. You ask why they didn’t fence it all in? I asked that, too and was told that at that time everyone used horses and they had their hitching rails around the outside.

Pastors serving in the parish were rev. Tigen driving with horse from 1902-1905; Rev. Nels M. Ylvcsaker residing at Mohall 1905-1909; Rev. E. Struxness residing at Mohall 1909-1912; Rev. H. A. Hjermstad residing at Mohall 1912-1914; Rev. J. J. Strandness with Deering address 1914-1920; Rev. N. I. Berg, Deering 1920-1930; Rev. Gerhard Aarestad, Deering 1931-1940; Rev. T. J. Wettrin, Deering 1941-1945; Rev. Ivan Wallem and Norbert Jollivette served during 1948 when we were without a pastor; Rev. Geo. Undem 1949-1955; Rev. Nordby 1955-1960; and Pastor James Pearson 1960-1968”.       

ORDER OF MICROFILMING


Volume 1
Ministerial Log: Baptisms 1907-1967; Confirmations, 1908-1968, Marriages 1908-1963, Deaths 1901-1971, Communicants 1909-1968, Membership 1908-1967, and Calendar of Events 1907-1968

Volume 2
Ladies Aid Society Minutes, Photographs, and history 1942-1968

Address:
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
Get Directions

Hours:
State Museum and Store: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
We are closed New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
We will also be closed on Christmas Eve this year.
State Archives: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M-F, except state holidays; 2nd Sat. of each month, 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
State Historical Society offices: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F, except state holidays.

Contact Us:
phone: 701.328.2666
email: histsoc@nd.gov