Title: Farmers Independent Publishing Company Records
Collection Number: Mss 10439
Quantity: 1.5 feet
Abstract: Consists of minutes of stockholders' meetings, correspondence, ledgers, financial statements, stock certificates, and lists of stockholders. Records deal primarily with administration of the company.
Provenance: The State Historical Society of North Dakota acquired the Farmers Independent Publishing Company Records from Wayne Stroup, Garrison, North Dakota, on November 15, 1984. This record series was processed and the inventory prepared by Donna Neal and Karen Mund in April 1988.
Property Rights: The State Historical Society of North Dakota owns the property rights to this collection.
Copyrights: The Farmers Independent Publishing Company has dedicated such copyrights as it possesses in this collection to the public. Consideration of all other copyrights is the responsibility of the author and publisher.
Access: This collection is open under the rules and regulations of the State Historical Society of North Dakota.
Citation: Researchers are requested to cite the collection title, collection number, and the State Historical Society of North Dakota in all footnote and bibliographic references.
The Farmers Independent Publishing Company of Garrison, North Dakota, was incorporated on October 31, 1918 by J. J. Simonson, Edward Rupp, and Henry Goldan. Renewal of Corporate Existence papers were filed and granted in 1938 and 1958. Stock was $10.00 per share and issued from 1920 to 1961.
The McLean County Independence, published by Farmers Independent Publishing Company, was elected the Official Newspaper of McLean County in 1956.
The Farmers Independent Publishing Company was sold on January 16, 1963 to Don Gackle. The company was officially dissolved on May 29, 1963.
SCOPE AND CONTENT
This collection documents the activities of the Farmers Independent Publishing Company from its beginning in 1918 to its dissolution on May 23, 1963. The Farmers Independent Publishing Company Records consists of three record series: corporation records measuring 5 folders and dating from 1920-1963; subject files measuring 13 folders and dating from 1918-1963; and stock records. The corporation records include the minutes of the board of directors meetings, by-laws, stock certificate registration, financial reports, and record the dividends paid in 1935.
The subject files consist of the Articles of Incorporation and Renewal of Corporate Existence Certificates, and dissolution papers of the corporation. Also included are active and inactive stockholders cards, estate probation certificates, stock transfer and sales correspondence, stockholder lists, stockholder correspondence, proxies, a few employee time cards, one job application, and a certificate for Newspaper of the Year. The stock records consist of two original stock issue books and a folder of original stock certificates transferred or sold back to the company.
1 Minutes, Book 1 1931-1935
2 Minutes, Book 2 1932-1963
3 Minutes File 1943-1963
4 Financial Statement Book 1931-1935
5 Financial Statement File 1932-1963
6 Active Stockholder Cards, Part 1
7 Active Stockholder Cards, Part 2
8 Articles of Incorporation 1918
9 Dissolution Papers 1963
11 Estate Probation Certificates 1959
12 Inactive Stockholders Cards
13 Newspaper of the Year 1942, 1956
14 Proxies 1937-1955
15 Stock Transfers and Sales 1923-1955
16 Stockholder Correspondence1962-1979
17 Stockholder Lists
18 Stock Certificates
19 Stock Issue Book 1920-1958
20 Stock Issue Book 1958-1961
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
State Museum and Store: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
We are closed New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
We will also be closed on Christmas Eve this year.
State Archives: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M-F, except state holidays; 2nd Sat. of each month, 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
State Historical Society offices: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F, except state holidays.