SHSND Home > Archives > Archives Holdings > Archives & Manuscripts > Family/Local History > 10211

OCLC WorldCat Logo

Digital Horizons

Federal Depository Library Program

Manuscripts by Subject - Family / Local History - #10211

Title: Ted and Louise Kopseng

Dates: 1942-1975

Collection Number: 10211

Quantity: .25 feet

Abstract: Consists of correspondence, photographs, and newspaper clippings concerning the erection of a monument to mark the grave of Sondre Norheim, inventor of modern ski apparatus, in Denbigh, McHenry County (ND); a biographical sketch of James William Follis; and historical sketches by Louise Kopseng concerning a logging camp, a country school, rural electrification, and food.

Provenance: Ted Kopseng donated this collection to the State Historical Society in January 1972.

Copyrights: Copyrights to materials in this collection remain with the donor, publisher, author, or author's heirs. Researcher should consult the 1976 Copyright Act, Public Law 94‑553, Title 17 U.S. Code and an archivist at this repository if clarification of copyright requirements is needed.

Access: This collection is open under the rules and regulations of the State Historical Society of North Dakota.

Citation: Researchers are requested to cite the collection title, collection name, and the State Historical Society of North Dakota in all footnote and bibliographic references.

Related Collections:
00034 Theodore Kopseng
00167 Ted Kopseng

Biographical Sketch

From the Bismarck Tribune, Thursday April 26, 1990

Theodore S. Kopseng, 85, 1015 N. Third St., died April 24, 1990, in a Bismarck hospital. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday at Trinity Lutheran Church with the Rev. Hesel Hendrickson officiating. Burial will be in St. Mary’s Cemetery, Bismarck. A Masonic service will be held at 7 tonight at the funeral home.

Mr. Kopseng was born Aug. 14, 1904 near Harvey. He was raised and educated near Harvey. He managed grain elevators in the Devils Lake area and later represented Minneapolis grain commission companies. He married Louise Hanson on Jan. 4, 1944 at Bismarck. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. He had grain elevator interests at Clifton, Woodworth and Tuttle, and had farms near each of them. He was later active in the apartment business in Bismarck. He suffered from Alzheimer’s Disease and had been confined to nursing homes since 1983.

He served on the State Historical Society Board and sang with El Zagal Shrine Plainsmen. He was a member of the Izaak Walton League.

He is survived by his wife; two daughters, Donna Engel and Karen von Witte, both of New York City; one son, Loren, Bismarck; and five grandchildren.

Box / Folder Inventory

1 Sondre Nordheim, Norwegian skier, information 1965-1966
2 Poem about pioneers by Warren K. Johnson
3 Letter and cassette recording of Oath of Office 1942
4 Bill Follis: Cowboy by Mary McDonald Victory
5 Letter re: Garrison Diversion from T. Kopseng, President of the Izaak Walton League, Missouri Slope Chapter 1975
6 History of the Logging Camp Ranch (Louise Kopseng’s version with inaccuracies) November 1965
7 Photograph at Bismarck Airport ca. 1950. T. S. Kopseng, Harold Stassen, Otto Krueger, Sheriff H. L. Duncanson of Mott, William Kraft, retired railroad man of Bismarck
8 St. George’s Episcopal Memorial Church: A Memorial to the Pioneers of the Dakotas, 1873-1949
9 Torsten Kopseng Civil War letters and biographical information and biographical sketch of Sander Lerberg by his nephew Theodore Sander Kopseng

Address:
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
Get Directions

Hours:
State Museum and Store: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
We are closed New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
We will also be closed on Christmas Eve this year.
State Archives: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M-F, except state holidays; 2nd Sat. of each month, 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
State Historical Society offices: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F, except state holidays.

Contact Us:
phone: 701.328.2666
email: histsoc@nd.gov