SHSND Home > Archives > Archives Holdings > Photographs > Collections > 00974

OCLC WorldCat Logo

Digital Horizons

Federal Depository Library Program

Photographs - Collections - 951-1000 - #00974

Title: Gilbert Horton

Dates: 1915-1941

Collection Number: 00974

Quantity: 293 items

Abstract: Images of buildings designed by architect Gilbert Horton.

Provenance: The State Historical Society acquired this collection from Gilbert Horton in October 1992.

Copyrights:  Copyrights to this collection remain with the donor, publisher, author, or author's heirs.  Researchers should consult the 1976 Copyright Act, Public Law 94-553, Title 17, U.S. Code or an archivist at this repository if clarification of copyright requirements is needed.

Access: This collection is open under the rules and regulations of the State Historical Society of North Dakota.

Citation: Researchers are requested to cite the collection title, collection number, and the State Historical Society of North Dakota in all footnote and bibliographic references.

Related Material:
MSS 10495 Gilbert Horton Architecture Collection
MSS 10470  Ritterbush-Van Horn Architecture Collection
30278 Board of Capitol Commissioners. Architect Selection Files
MSS 10448 State Board of Architecture. Registration files, 1924-1967, .5 ft. Documents Gilbert R. Horton's membership on the State Board of Architecture, ca. 1942 to 1955; he held the positions of president and vice-president intermittently during those years. Also contains a copy of son Gilbert E. Horton's certificate to practice architecture within the state, issued in 1951.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH

Gilbert R. Horton, one of four sons and three daughters of Gilbert L. and Annie B. Napier Horton, was born on November 10, 1888, in St. Paul, Minnesota.  Educated in the public schools of Litchfield, Minnesota, Gilbert Horton graduated in 1908 from Litchfield High School.  During the winter of 1907-1908 he also attended Schelde Vocational and Training School in the evenings.  Horton's post-secondary education consisted of study at the University of Minnesota College of Engineering in 1908 and 1909 and at the University of Washington College of Engineering in 1910 and 1911.

Gilbert R. Horton married Evangelyn M. Roberts of Jamestown, North Dakota, on his twenty-fifth birthday, November 10, 1913, in Moorhead, Minnesota.  They later had two children, Gilbert E. and Kent H. Arriving in Jamestown in May of 1911, Gilbert R. Horton found employment with the J. Schelde Company, general contractors, as a draftsman.  In 1913 he opened his own office, Gilbert R. Horton Architects, a firm that offered personalized engineering and architectural services.  Horton obtained license number 10 when North Dakota began certifying architects in 1917.  The firm did well until the stock market crash of 1929; to avoid bankruptcy Horton sold his family's home and went into the chicken-raising business.  He was offered the position of city engineer for Jamestown in 1932, leaving that office in 1937.  From 1944-1945 he worked as an architect in Kansas and other locations for the federal government, then returned to Jamestown.

Business picked up after WWII and Horton remained active in his firm until 1980.  Perhaps one of his greatest career achievements was being the first North Dakotan named a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) in 1968.  One of the AIA's highest honors, Horton received the Fellowship for his early construction technique innovations.  His first, for one-room school buildings, was a basement.  "Before 1910," according to Horton, "most schools were erected on a concrete slab."  The basement served as a lunch and playroom; in addition, the stove was located there.  In 1913 he developed a method of insulating glass, known as double glazing, which eliminated the need for storm windows.  Later, in 1927, when faced with shortages of many common construction materials, Horton began to investigate the possibility of using hollow brick; he perfected the technique several years later.  In 1930, Gilbert R. Horton designed a wood laminated, bolted arch which was noted for its "unusual design" at an "unusually low" cost in the May 1937 issue of The Engineering News Record.  Also during the depression period Horton developed a method for using hard granite field stone as a primary construction material.  He taught his construction workers the skills necessary to determine a rock's grain and to split the rock so as to make it square.

A dedicated professional, Gilbert R. Horton held memberships in a number of architectural associations.  He was a charter member of the North Dakota Association of Architects founded in 1922, a member of the American Institute of Architects since 1926, a charter member of the North Dakota chapter of the AIA, and was appointed to the State Board of Architects, ca. 1942 to 1955.  Horton's own philosophy concerning an architect's responsibilities reflected deep commitment to his lifework.  "...the hopes, aspiration and purposes of the individual for whom it [a structure] is built..." must be captured, he believed, by the architect and incorporated into the structures design.  He also believed that a building must "... contribute to the esthetic [sic] health of its surroundings."  In doing so an architect fulfilled obligations to both client and community.

Gilbert R. Horton's record of service to his community included membership in the Jamestown Chamber of Commerce from 1917, charter membership in the Jamestown Rotary Club from 1921, and holding the office of alderman for three years during the 1920's.  He was also involved in church activities, Grace Episcopal Church in Jamestown, and organizations like the Boy Scouts.

Gilbert R. Horton died on November 2, 1985; Evangelyn M. Horton preceded him in death, October 22, 1978.  He left behind not only his firm but also hundreds of buildings, many of which are still in use.  Kent Horton is still active in the firm.  An abbreviated listing of structures designed by Gilbert R. Horton would include:  Jamestown Hospital; Mandan High School; McElroy Park Hippodrome in Jamestown, in which Horton used his wood laminated, bolted arch; Medina Village Hall and Community Building, an example of his work using hard granite field stone; the Motion Picture Theatre in Cavalier; Rogers School Auditorium, the first structure incorporating hollow brick; and the Stutsman County Courthouse Addition in Jamestown.

Sources: 
30278 Architect Selection Files (Board of Capitol Commissioners)
Jamestown Sun, May 15, 1968, p.1 +; November 4, 1985, p. 7.
30448 Registration Files (State Board of Architecture)
Smorada, James and Lois Forrest, editors.  Century of Stories: Jamestown and Stutsman County, Fargo, ND:  The Fort Seward Historical Society, Inc., 1983.
Who's Who in North Dakota, 1955. A compilation of short biographical sketches of selected North Dakotans.

PHOTOGRAPHS INVENTORY

00974-001 – 003                School, Braddock N.D.  
00974-004            Gas Station
00974-005            School, Kulm N.D.
00974-0006         Typical One-Room School 1915
00974-007            Building dedication plate Board of Education 1915
00974-008 – 010                Public School, Montpelier N.D. 1915
00974-011            One-Room School
00974-012            Public School, Montpelier N.D. 1915
00974-013            One-Room School
00974-014 – 016                School, Ellendale N.D. 1915
00974-017 – 021                School, Woodworth N.D.
00974-022            School, Goodrich N.D. 1915
00974-023            Blaisdell Building, Medina N.D. 1915-1916
00974-024 – 025                Sundahl Residence, Jamestown N.D. 1915-1916
00974-026 – 029                Depot, Midland Continental Railroad, Jamestown N.D.
00974-033            School, Millarton N.D. 1916
00974-034            School, Mercer N.D. 1916
00974-035            Public School, Warwick N.D.
00974-036            School, Edmunds N.D. 1916
00974-037            School, McKenzie N.D. 1916
00974-038            School interior
00974-039            Movius-Wood Building, Jamestown N.D.
00974-041 – 042                Mandan High School 1916
00974-043            Gymnasium interior, High School, Mandan N.D.
00974-044 – 045                Assembly Room, Mandan High School
00974-046            Front entrance, Mandan High School
00974-047 – 049                Mandan High School 1916
00974-050 – 056                School, Coleharbor N.D.
00974-057            Bertel Building
00974-058            Interior G. H. Funk & Sons store 1917
00974-059            Funk Building, Hebron N.D. 1917
00974-060            School, Bowman N.D. 1917
00974-061            School, New Rockford N.D.
00974-063 – 064                Blue Hill School south of Ryder N.D. 1917
00974-065            School, Van Hook N.D. 1917
00974-066            School, Medina N.D. 1917
00974-067            Typical classroom, Medina N.D. 1917
00974-068 – 069 School, Medina N.D. 1917
00974-070            Workmen outside front entrance, Medina School
00974-071 – 072                School, Veblen S.D. 1958
00974-073            Veblen School Gymnasium
00974-074 – 076                Farmers Union Hall, Sterling N.D.
00974-077 – 079                Olson Building, Valley City N.D.
00974-080            Riverdale School, Oakes N.D. 1918
00974-081            School, Chaseley N.D. 1918
00974-082 – 083                Estabrook School 1918
00974-084 – 087                Eldridge School 1919
00974-088 – 095                High School, Gackle N.D.
00974-096 – 098                Construction on High School, Wishek N.D. November 1919
00974-099 – 101                Completed High School, Wishek N.D.
00974-102            Woodbury School 1919
00974-103 – 105                Adventist Church, Jamestown N.D. 1919
00974-106            Livestock Sales Pavilion, Jamestown N.D. 1920
00974-107            Salvation Army Building, Jamestown N.D. 1920
00974-109 – 111                Henry Pulscher Residence, Jamestown N.D. 1920
00974-112 – 113                Memorial Hall, Turtle Lake N.D. 1920
00974-114            Residence, Colonial Home Builders
00974-115            Ashland School 1920
00974-116            Bloomenfield School 1920
00974-117            Peterson School 1920
00974-118            Hettinger School 1920
00974-119 – 120                Deer Lake School 1920
00974-121 – 123                Crystal Springs School 1920
00974-124            Manns School 1919-1920
00974-125 – 126                Bohnsack School 1920
00974-127            Colonial Home Horton & Ganley 1920
00974-129 – 130                Greenfield School
00974-131            Glenmore School 1921
00974-132            Adrian School 1922
00974-133            Eckelson School 1922
00974-134            Glacier School
00974-135            School, Arena N.D. 1922
00974-136            Greenland Consolidated School, Barnes County N.D. 1922
00974-137            Tuttle High School 1922
00974-138            Banner School, LaMoure County N.D. 1922-1923
00974-139            Englevale School 1922-1923
00974-140            Fish Hatchery, Spiritwood Lake 1922
00974-141            Lehr School 1923
00974-142            Homer School 1922
00974-143 – 144                Hazelton School 1923
00974-145 – 146                Knights of Columbus, Jamestown N.D. 1925
00974-147            Dacotah Oil Station, Jamestown N.D. 1924
00974-149 – 150                Marion School 1923
00974-151            Melicher Garage, Kulm N.D. 1923
00974-152 – 154                Wyndmere School 1923
00974-155 – 156                Mandan High School 1923
00974-157            Walsh Residence Sigurd Grande Residence, Jamestown N.D. 1924
00974-158 – 159                Dinehart Garage 1924
00974-160            Hoffman Motors, Wahpeton N.D.
00974-161            Cox Service Station, Carrington N.D. 1925
00974-162            Hansen Brothers, Jamestown N.D.
00974-163            Fried School 1925
00974-164            Sydney School
00974-165            Schmitz Building, Jamestown N.D.
00974-166            Kulm School
00974-167            Reule Garage, Medina N.D. 1924
00974-168            Nygaard Building, Jamestown N.D. 1925
00974-169 – 171                State Hospital Dairy Barn, Jamestown N.D. 1925
00974-172            Mandan High School 1924
00974-173            Carrington School 1926
00974-174 - 178 Trinity Hospital, Jamestown N.D. 1925
00974-179            Trinity Hospital Addition 1926
00974-180 – 182                Purity Dairy, Mandan N.D. 1926
00974-183 – 184                Wolfer Residence, Jamestown N.D. 1926
00974-185 – 186                Whidden Residence, Jamestown N.D. 1926
00974-187            Fort Yates School 1926
00974-188            Hannaford School 1926
00974-190 – 191                Napoleon School 1926
00974-192            Palace Motors, Carrington N.D.
00974-193 – 194                Lyons Garage, Jamestown N.D. 1926
00974-195            Greenland-Lunde Garage, Cooperstown N.D. 1926
00974-196            Stutsman County Courthouse Addition, Jamestown N.D. 1926
00974-197            Flannery Building, Jamestown N.D. 1926
00974-198            Grant Building, Jamestown N.D. 1926
00974-199            Juanita School 1927
00974-200            School, Mildred Mont.
00974-202 – 204                Horton Residence, Jamestown N.D. 1927
00974-205            Young Garage, LaMoure N.D. 1927
00974-206            St. John’s Academy, Jamestown N.D.
00974-207            Wimbledon School 1928
00974-208 – 209                St. John’s Academy, Jamestown N.D. 1927
00974-210            Western Auto, Mandan N.D.
00974-211            Wimbledon School 1928
00974-212 – 214                City Hall, Mandan N.D. 1928
00974-215            School, Litchfield, Minn. 1931
00974-216            National Bank & Trust Co., Jamestown N.D. 1930
00974-217 – 218                City Hall, Mandan N.D. 1928
00974-219            Litchfield High School, Litchfield Minn. 1931
00974-220 – 221                Denhoff School 1929
00974-222 – 223                Amundson Residence, Jamestown N.D. 1929
00974-224            Flora School 1929
00974-225            Bordulac School 1930
00974-226            G. L. Horton Garage, Litchfield 1930
00974-227            Poindexter Residence, Jamestown N.D. 1937
00974-228 – 229                Nankin Restaurant exterior, Jamestown N.D. 1931
00974-230            Nankin Restaurant interior, Jamestown N.D. 1931
00974-231 – 233                Watson Hall Men’s Dormitory, Jamestown College 1930
00974-234 – 235                Litchfield High School, Litchfield Minn. 1931
00974-236 – 238                Hospital, Jamestown N.D.1931
00974-239 – 244                Park Auditorium, Jamestown N.D. 1934
00974-245            National Bank Alterations interio, Jamestown N.D. 1937
00974-246            Armory, Valley City N.D. 1937
00974-247 – 248                Park Auditorium, Jamestown N.D. 1934
00974-249 – 250                Lidgerwood School Auditorium 1938
00974-251 – 252                School Gymnasium, Monango N.D. 1938
00974-253 – 259                Lidgerwood School Auditorium 1938
00974-260 – 261                Congregational Church interior, New Rockford N.D. 1939
00974-262 – 266                New Rockford Hospital 1939
00974-267 – 271                St. John’s Lutheran Church, Jamestown N.D. 1939
00974-272 – 274                Dickey School Addition 1939
00974-275            Village Hall, Medina N.D. 1939
00974-276            Auditorium, New Rockford N.D. 1940
00974-277            Bus Terminal, Jamestown N.D. 1940
00974-278            Congregational Church 1940
00974-279 – 282                City Auditorium, Wishek N.D.
00974-283            H. G. Picard Jeweler, Jamestown N.D. – before
00974-284            Streifel – Pred Clothiers, Jamestown N.D. – after
00974-285 – 287                School Gymnasium exterior, Ellendale N.D. 1938
00974-288 – 289                School Gymnasium interior, Ellendale N.D. 1938
00974-290            Fire Department, Steele N.D.
00974-291            Community Building, Steele N.D.
00973-292 – 295                Crippled Children’s School, Jamestown N.D. 1941

Address:
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
Get Directions

Hours:
State Museum and Store: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
We are closed New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
We will also be closed on Christmas Eve this year.
State Archives: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M-F, except state holidays; 2nd Sat. of each month, 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
State Historical Society offices: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F, except state holidays.

Contact Us:
phone: 701.328.2666
email: histsoc@nd.gov