SHSND Home > Archives > Archives Holdings > Photographs > Collections > 00760

OCLC WorldCat Logo

Digital Horizons

Federal Depository Library Program

Photographs - Collections - 751-800 - #00760

Title: Merrill J. Mattes

Dates: 1948-1962

Collection Number: 00760

Quantity: 32 items

Abstract: Photographs taken in relation to Merrill J. Mattes article, “Under the Wide Missouri,” published in North Dakota History, in October 1952, about the loss of historic sites that would occur along the river with the filling of the Garrison Reservoir.

Provenance: The State Historical Society acquired this collection from Merrill J. Mattes in 1989.

Copyright:
Copyrights to materials in this collection remain with the donor, publisher, author, or author's heirs.  Researcher should consult the 1976 Copyright Act, Public Law 94‑553, Title 17 U.S. Code and an archivist at this repository if clarification of copyright requirements is needed.

Access:
This collection is open under the rules and regulations of the State Historical Society of North Dakota for research only. Copies should be requested from the National Park Service or Smithsonian Institution.

PHOTOGRAPHS INVENTORY

00760-01              Mr. and Mrs. Byron Wilde and their original log and earth-roofed dwelling near old Fort Berthold. Photo by National Park Service
00760-02              Two people standing in a field at Fort Berthold February 14, 1962
00076-03              View of Fort Berthold from across the river
00760-04              Four Bears Bridge at Fort Berthold
00760-05              Four Bears Bridge at Fort Berthold
00760-06              Four Bears Bridge at Fort Berthold
000760-07            Merrill J. Mattes inspecting sacred Mandan ceremonial shrine, Fort Berthold Indian Reservation. Photo by National Park Service
00760-07              Four Bears Monument at Four Bears Bridge, Forth Berthold Indian Reservation. Photo by National Park Service
00760-08              Panoramic view of Missouri River valley looking toward Elbowoods, Fort Berthold Indian Reservation. Photo by National Park Service
00760-09              Monument to tribal heroes of the Fort Laramie Treaty Council of 1851 at Fort Berthold Agency. Photo by National Park Service
00760-10              Arikara or ‘Ree’ tribal dance hall modeled after the circular earth lodge. Photo by National Park Service
00760-11              Remains of old Fort Berthold where Sitting Bull surrendered. Photo by National Park Service
00760-12              Smithsonian Institution archaeological excavation of officers’ quarters at old Fort Stevenson. Photo by Smithsonian Institution
00760-13 – 14     Crow High Butte from the west side of the Missouri River named for Crow Flies High, a Gros Ventre chief who was father of Drags Wolf July 17, 1948
00760-15              Panoramic view of the Missouri River at Fort Berthold
00760-16              View down the Missouri River from the top of Crow High Butte showing profile of the bluffs July 1948. Photo by National Park Service
00760-18              Fort Lookout Trading Post
00760-19              View of doomed Sanish (ND) from the summit of Crow High Butte, Garrison Reservoir area. Photo by National Park Service
00760-21              Garrison Dam
00760-22              Garrison Dam
00760-23              Garrison Dam
00760-24              Garrison Dam
00760-25              Panoramic view of Missouri River valley looking westward from the summit of Crow High Butte, the present Verendrye National Monument, showing the bridge and part of the town of Sanish. Photo by National Park Service
00760-26              Fort Clark February 14, 1962. Photo by National Park Service
00760-27              Fort Yates
00760-28              Fort Stevenson
00760-29              Fort Stevenson
00760-30              Fort Stevenson
00760-31              Brass uniform insignia and epaulettes recovered by archaeologists from the site of Fort Stevenson. Photo by Smithsonian Institution
00760-32              Fort Manuel Lisa in Oahe Reservoir near ND-SD boundary October 1952

Address:
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
Get Directions

Hours:
State Museum and Store: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
We are closed New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
We will also be closed on Christmas Eve this year.
State Archives: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M-F, except state holidays; 2nd Sat. of each month, 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
State Historical Society offices: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F, except state holidays.

Contact Us:
phone: 701.328.2666
email: histsoc@nd.gov