SHSND Home > Archives > Archives Holdings > Photographs > Collections > 00114

OCLC WorldCat Logo

Digital Horizons

Federal Depository Library Program

Photographs - Collections - 101-150 - #00114

Title: Van Horn-Ritterbush

Dates: 1925-1940

Collection Number: 00114

Quantity: 241 items

Abstract: Photographs of day by day construction of several Van Horn Ritterbush projects in Bismarck, Valley City, Jamestown, Manvel, New England, Hebron, Kulm, and Dickinson (ND).

Provenance: The Van Horn-Ritterbush Records were acquired by the State Historical Society of North Dakota from the Ritterbush Associates of Bismarck in 1985. These photographs were separated from MSS 10470.

Copyrights: Copyrights to materials in this collection remain with the donor, publisher, author, or author's heirs.  Researcher should consult the 1976 Copyright Act, Public Law 94‑553, Title 17 U.S. Code and an archivist at this repository if clarification of copyright requirements is needed.

Access: This collection is open under the rules and regulations of the State Historical Society of North Dakota.

Citation: Researchers are requested to cite the collection title, collection name, and the State Historical Society of North Dakota in all footnote and bibliographic references.

Related Collection:
MSS 10470 Van Horn Ritterbush

HISTORICAL SKETCH

Ritterbush Associates, P.C. is one of the oldest continuously operating firms in the state of North Dakota, and indeed, the United States. Established by Arthur Van Horn in 1883, the firm has had a hand in the building of a large number of structures across the state. It may be said without exaggeration that the architectural firm in many ways added to the history of the territory and state in the buildings it erected. The story of this remarkable company of necessity begins with its founder, Arthur Van Horn.

Van Horn was born March 16, 1860 in Hackensack New Jersey to Cornelius and Almira Van Horn. The eldest of four children, Arthur grew up in the turbulent years of the American Civil War. His father, Cornelius, entered the conflict as a member of Company “A”, 22nd New Jersey Volunteers Regiment. The Van Horn family was particularly proud of its history and traced its arrival to the ten Dutch controlled New York area in 1653. Van Horn was no doubt influenced by tales of his forbearers. In later years he became an avid geologist. In 1878 he graduated from high school and proceeded to learn the carpentry trade from his father. In 1882 and early 1883 Van Horn studied architecture in New York City at the famous Cooper Institute. Later in 1883 the young Van Horn left the east coast to strike out on his own on the distant Dakota prairie.

Mr. Van Horn arrived in Bismarck, Dakota Territory on April 22, 1883. He worked with the Weaver Lumber Company as an estimator, draftsman, and architect until 1889 when he moved to Hillsboro where he was employed by Beidler-Robinson Lumber Company. After a two year stay in Hillsboro, Van Horn returned to Bismarck where he worked as an independent contractor and builder. Between 1902 and 1907 he was the architect and superintendent of buildings for the North Dakota State Penitentiary and was involved in the erection of the Twine Plant, Hospital, Yard Wall and various minor buildings. By the time Van Horn quit his position with the Penitentiary in 1907 he was well known and his services were in demand. He continued his independent status between 1907 and 1920 and along with his draftsman Karl Loven, was responsible for building many schools and commercial buildings in Bismarck. Loven quit in 1920 after nearly seven years with Van Horn. Stepping into the vacuum created by Loven’s departure were two young men who became Van Horn’s partners.

In 1920 Van Horn entered in partnership with Clarence and Robert Ritterbush to form the firm Van Horn-Ritterbush, Inc. This partnership was to last and prove beneficial to all three men. Unfortunately Van Horn did not live long enough to see the company grow into the 1930s and 1940s. He died in April 1931 after a year long bout with heart disease. The Ritterbush brothers then took over the firm and continued the tradition of architectural excellence shared with the founder.

With the death of Mr. Van Horn the company became Ritterbush Associates, P.C. Robert Ritterbush, while an active part of the company, also served on the Historic Sites Board and worked for the preservation of such sites as the Chateau de Mores in Medora. In 1969 he was awarded the American Institutes of architecture’s highest honor – investiture as a fellow in that organization. Robert Ritterbush passed away in January 1980 at age 88. His son Robert took over the firm and along with Melvin Rudrud continued the business. Clarence Ritterbush retired to Arizona and died in 1990.

Arthur Van Horn was 71 at the time of his death. His second wife Harriet and stepdaughter Ruth survived him. Van Horn’s first wife was Jessie McKinney of Hillboro whom he married in 1892. She apparently died shortly thereafter. A staunch Republican, Van Horn enjoyed politics and socializing. He was a member of the Knights of Pythias, Ancient Order of United Workmen, and the North Dakota State Architects Association.

In the service of North Dakotans for nearly a century, the Van Horn, Van Horn-Ritterbush, and finally Ritterbush Associates companies provide a unique picture of the growth and metamorphosis of the state through its buildings.
Sources:
Lewis F. Crawford, History of North Dakota II, Chicago: American Historical Society, 1931.
Bismarck Tribune, April 18, 1931
“Internship Report: Van Horn-Ritterbush Inventory,” by Julie Nystul unpublished paper for NDSU History Department, 1985.

PHOTOGRAPHS INVENTORY

00114-01              Airport Hanger Bismarck (ND) 1936
00114-02              State Hospital, Jamestown (ND)               
00114-03              State Hospital, Jamestown (ND)               
00114-04              Lincoln School, Bismarck (ND) 1938
00114-05              Lincoln School, Bismarck (ND) 1938
00114-06              School addition, Manvel (ND) built 1937                               
00114-07              School addition, Manvel (ND) built 1937
00114-08              School addition, Manvel (ND) built 1937
00114-09              School addition, Manvel (ND) built 1937
00114-10              School, New England (ND)
00114-11              School, New England (ND)
00114-12              School, New England (ND)
00114-13-18        Dodge Brothers Auto, Bismarck (ND) 1925
00114-13-18        Hedahl Building built 1925
00114-14              Dodge Brothers Auto, Bismarck (ND) 1925
00114-15              Dodge Brothers Auto, Bismarck (ND) 1925
00114-16              Dodge Brothers Auto, Bismarck (ND) 1925
00114-17              Dodge Brothers Auto, Bismarck (ND) 1925
00114-18              Dodge Brothers Auto, Bismarck (ND) 1925
00114-19              Streets, Bismarck (ND) 1925
00114-20              Streets, Bismarck (ND) 1925
00114-21              Streets, Bismarck (ND) 1925
00114-22              Streets, Bismarck (ND) 1925
00114-23              Utilities Building, Valley City (ND) 1925
00114-24              Utilities Building, Valley City (ND) 1925
00114-25              Utilities Building, Valley City (ND) 1925
00114-26              School, Hebron (ND) 1938
00114-27              School, Hebron (ND) 1938
00114-28              School, Hebron (ND) 1938
00114-29              School, Hebron (ND) 1938
00114-30              School, Hebron (ND) 1938
00114-31              State Highway Department  Shops, Bismarck (ND) 1938
00114-33              School, Kulm (ND)
00114-34              School, Kulm (ND)
00114-35              School, Kulm (ND)
00114-36              State Highway Department District Office, Dickinson (ND)
00114-37              State Highway Department District Office, Dickinson (ND)
00114-38              State Highway Department District Office, Dickinson (ND)
00114-39              New Cell Block at State Penitentiary, 1938-1939
00114-40              New Cell Block at State Penitentiary, 1938-1939
00114-41              New Cell Block at State Penitentiary, 1938-1939
00114-42              City Auditorium, Glen Ullin (ND) 1935
00114-43              West Plains Motel, Dickinson (ND) 1940
00114-44              West Plains Motel, Dickinson (ND) 1940
00114-45              West Plains Motel, Dickinson (ND) 1940
00114-46              West Plains Motel, Dickinson (ND) 1940
00114-47              West Plains Motel, Dickinson (ND) 1940
00114-48              West Plains Motel, Dickinson (ND) 1940
00114-50              Barnes County Court House, Valley City (ND)
00114-51              Valley City (ND) Municipal Auditorium 1936
00114-52              Valley City (ND) Municipal Auditorium 1936
00114-53              Valley City (ND) Municipal Auditorium 1936
00114-54              Valley City (ND) Municipal Auditorium 1936
00114-55              Valley City (ND) Municipal Auditorium 1936
00114-56              Valley City (ND) Municipal Auditorium 1936
00114-57              School addition, Manvel (ND) built 1937
00114-58              School addition, Manvel (ND) built 1937
00114-59              School addition, Manvel (ND) built 1937
00114-60              School addition, Manvel (ND) built 1937
00114-61              Lumber stacked
00114-62              School addition, Manvel (ND) built 1937
00114-63              School addition, Manvel (ND) built 1937
00114-64              School addition, Manvel (ND) built 1937
00114-65              School addition, Manvel (ND) built 1937
00114-66              School addition, Manvel (ND) built 1937
00114-67              School addition, Manvel (ND) built 1937
00114-68              School addition, Manvel (ND) built 1937
00114-69              Ramp steel work May 6, 1925
00114-70 – 125 Municipal Utility Building, Valley City (ND)
00114-70              Steel in first floor slab May 6, 1925
00114-71              Steel basement columns May 6, 1925
00114-72              Ramp steel work May 6, 1925
00114-73              First pouring 8 inch slab May 7, 1925
00114-74              Washed gravel 1st floor slab May 7, 1925
00114-75              Steel work east end May 7, 1925
00114-76              Lalley pillars concrete center May 8, 1925
00114-77              Slump test of slab May 9, 1925
00114-78              Concrete cylinder from slab for capacity test May 9, 1925
00114-79              Wetting down slab May 9, 1925
00114-80              Slump test of slab May 9, 1925
00114-81              Slump test of slab May 9, 1925
00114-82              Complete steel work west end May 11, 1925
00114-83              Complete steel work west end May 11, 1925
00114-84              8 inch slab looking east May 14, 1925
00114-85              8 inch slab May 14, 1925
00014-86              Days rain curing slab May 15, 1925
00114-87              Ready to start brick work May 16, 1925
00114-88              Corner entrance May 20, 1925
00114-89              Detail basement steel sash for screen May 20, 1925
00114-90              South wall May 20, 1925
00114-91              Dog May 30 1925
00114-92              Steel sash placed May 21, 1925
00114-93              Corner entrance May 21, 1925
00114-94              Brick work May 23, 1925
00114-95              Brickwork May 27, 1925
00114-96              Wall ties May 27, 1925
00114-97              Brick work complete to steel joist May 29, 1925
00114-98              Detail complete brick pillar May 29, 1925
00114-99              Dog May 30, 1925
00114-100            Steelwork started June 2, 1925
00114-101            Steel work June 2, 1925
00114-102            Steel work completed June 4, 1925
00114-103            General view complete steel work June 4, 1925
00114-104            Rafters, west five spans 12 inches for two floors
00114-105            Rafters east two spans 12 inches for two floors
00114-106            Steel work completed June 4, 1925
00114-107            General view Rafters placed June 10, 1925
00114-108            Brick work June 29, 1925
00114-109            Brick work complete to roof joists June 20, 1925
00114-110            Roof studding June 22, 1925
00114-111            Woman and dog June 24, 1925
00114-112            Dog June 24, 1925
00114-113            Birds eye view June 24, 1925
00114-114            Carney cement for brick work May 18, 1925
00114-115            Birds eye view June 28, 1925
00114-116            General view June 28, 1925
00114-117            Laying lower brick June 30, 1925
00114-118            Steam pipes and radiators June 30, 1925
00114-119            Roof west end June 30, 1925
00114-120            Matched roof boards June 30, 1925
00114-121            Dog August 24, 1925
00114-122            Dog August 24, 1925
00114-123            Hot water heater 250 gallon
00114-124            Basement columns six 5/8 inch bars
00114-125            Column footings
00114-126 – 147 Progress photos Municipal Utility Building, Valley City (ND)
00114-148 – 151 West Plains Hotel, Dickinson (ND)
00114-152 – 263 Municipal Auditorium Valley City (ND)
00114-183            Looking east VC July 19, 1936
00114-184            Looking west VC July 19, 1936
00114-185            Soil test VC July 22, 1936
00114-186            Looking west VC July 26, 1936
00114-187            Looking east VC July 26, 1936
00114-188            Looking SW VC August 2, 1936
00114-189            Looking SE VC August 2, 1936
00114-190            Looking NW VC August 7, 1936
00114-191            Looking NE VC August 8, 1936
00114-192            Looking SE VC August 9, 1936
00114-193            Looking SW VC August 9m 1936
00114-194            Looking SE VC August 16, 1936
00114-195            Looking NE VC August 16, 1936
00114-196            Looking SW VC August 16, 1936
00114-197            Looking NW VC August 16, 1936
00114-198            Looking SE VC August 24, 1936
00114-199            Looking NE VC August 24, 1936
00114-200            Looking NW VC August 24, 1936
00114-201            Looking NE VC August 30, 1936
00114-202            Looking NNW VC August 30, 1936
00114-203            Looking east showing water and sewer trenches VC September 5, 1936
00114-204            Looking NE VC September 5, 1936
00114-205            Looking east VC September 5, 1936
00114-206            Looking SW VC September 13, 1936
00114-207            Looking NNE VC September 13, 1936
00114-208            View of site looking SW September 13, 1936
00114-209            Looking east September 22, 1936
00114-210            Erecting column September 26, 1936
00114-211            Looking east September 27, 1936
00114-212            Looking SE October 4, 1936
00114-213            Looking NE October 4, 1936
00114-214            Looking NW October 4, 1936
00114-215            Looking SW October 12, 1936
00114-216            Looking NW October 12, 1936
00114-217            Looking NE October 12, 1936
00114-218            Looking SW October 19, 1936
00114-219            Looking NE October 19, 1936
00114-220            Looking NW October 19, 1936
00114-221            Looking SW October 26, 1936
00114-222            Looking NE October 26, 1936
00114-223            Looking NW October 26, 1936
00114-224            Looking SW November 1, 1936
00114-225            Looking west November 2, 1936
00114-226            Looking NE November 2, 1936
00114-227            Looking east showing first girder on floor November 2, 1936
00114-228            Looking SW showing first girder in position to hoist and second girder on floor November 15, 1936
00114-229            Looking east November 15, 1936
00114-230            Looking SW November 15, 1936
00114-231            First girder almost in position to land November 19, 1936
00114-232            First girder about halfway up looking east November 19, 1936
00114-233            Looking NE November 22, 1936
00114-234            Looking SE November 22, 1936
00114-235            Looking SW November 22, 1936
00114-236            Looking NW November 22, 1936
00114-237            Looking east detail of 2nd girder in position for connection November 27, 1936
00114-238            Looking SE showing second girder about to be landed in position November 27, 1936
00114-239            Looking NE November 29, 1936
00114-240            Looking NW November 29, 1936
00114-241            Looking NE December 7, 1936

Address:
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
Get Directions

Hours:
State Museum and Store: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
We are closed New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
We will also be closed on Christmas Eve this year.
State Archives: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M-F, except state holidays; 2nd Sat. of each month, 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
State Historical Society offices: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F, except state holidays.

Contact Us:
phone: 701.328.2666
email: histsoc@nd.gov