SHSND Home > Archives > Archives Holdings > Photographs > Collections > 00057

OCLC WorldCat Logo

Digital Horizons

Federal Depository Library Program

Photographs - Collections - 0051-00100 - #00057

Title: Henry Bogenrief
               
Date: ca. 1904-1955

Collection Number: 00057

Quantity: 36 items

Abstract: Consists of photographs taken and collected by Henry "Hank" Bogenrief.  Subjects include Fargo (N.D.) scenes, Elbowoods (N.D.), Standing Rock (N.D.), flint quarries, and swimming activities along the Red River in Fargo (N.D.). Also includes construction of the Front St. bridge between Fargo and Moorhead in 1936, the old Front St. bridge which was demolished in 1937, the Fargo street car, the Northern States Co. power plant, and Delmar Hagen driving a Red River ox cart.

Provenance: The collection was donated to the State Historical Society of North Dakota by Henry Bogenrief in February 1981.

Property Rights: The State Historical Society of North Dakota owns the property rights to this collection.
               
Copyrights: Copyrights to materials in this collection remain with the donor, publisher, author, or author's heirs. Researchers should consult the 1976 Copyright Act, Public Law 94-553, Title 17, U.S. Code and an archivist at this repository if clarification of copyright requirements is needed.
               
Access: This collection is open under the rules and regulations of the State Historical Society of North Dakota.
               
Citation: Researchers are requested to cite the collection title, collection number, and the State Historical Society of North Dakota in all footnote and bibliographic references.       

BIOGRAPHY
Henry “Hank” Bogenrief, 94, Bethany Homes, Fargo, N.D. died on March 22, 1997. Henry was born in Pollock, S.D. on a farm, October 28, 1903, He came to Fargo with his parents, brother, and sister around 1910. He attended grade school at Lincoln Elementary School, Moorhead, and Agassiz Junior High, Fargo. In 1930, Henry graduated from Moler Barber College and received his state barber’s license. Henry married Mae Stoltz on September 1, 1935. She died in 1980.

Henry owned the Waldorf Hotel Barber and Beauty Shop, Fargo, before it was destroyed by fire, December 13, 1951. He worked at different barber shops and became an instructor at Moler Barber College. After his retirement at age 65, he continued his profession as manager of the barber shop in the Fargo Veterans Administration Medical Center for 25 years. During World War II he was a ship service barber with the U.S. Navy Seabees and in 1945, he took part in the capture of the Pacific Island of Iwo Jima by the U.S. forces.
As a member of the North Dakota State Barbers’ Association he was honored by them in 1963 for his outstanding effort in their convention’s educational forum. In 1975, he was named North Dakota’s “Barber of the Year.” In 1982, he was awarded honorary membership in the Associated Master Barbers, Fargo Chapter #199. In 1989, Henry received the Veterans Administration Award in appreciation for 25 years of faithful service to the U.S. government. In 1990, the VFW Political Action Committee awarded him a certificate of appreciation for his services to the United States and its veterans.

True to his hobby of photography, Henry was responsible for the relocation of the David Houston home to Bonanzaville, USA. Houston perfected the “roll-film” process and the lenses that revolutionized photography. In 1936, Henry organized the Fargo-Moorhead Camera Club. He also founded the Minot (N.D.) Camera Club and Heart of the Lakes Camera Club, Fergus Falls, Minn.

During the late 1960s and early 1970s, he received certificates of recognition from the North Central Camera Club Council for monthly achievement in outstation competition. In 1978 he received recognition for the Photographers’ Society of America for being an area representative. Life membership in the Fargo-Moorhead Camera Club was awarded to Henry in 1994.

In 1992 Henry was selected as one of the “Most Admired Seniors in the Red River Valley” chosen and recognized for the contributions they have made to the community since reaching the age of 60. Henry was instrumental in acquiring the barber shop from Buffalo, N.D. which was built in 1900 for Bonanzaville, USA. The F-M Barbers Association purchased it, refurbished it and donated it to the Cass County Historical Society’s Pioneer Village at Bonanzaville. In 1994, the Historical Society gave him an award, expressing gratitude for outstanding and dedicated volunteer services to Bonanzaville. One of the greatest thrills for Henry was having a picture he took of the setters’ log cabins and the white spiraled church at Bonanzaville choose for the cover of the 1982-83 Fargo-Moorhead Telephone Directory.

Source: Fargo Forum, March 23, 1997

INVENTORY

00057-00001 The Hotel Waldorf building, Fargo (N.D.) circa 1935
00057-00002 Henry Bogenrief's Waldorf Hotel Barber and Beauty Shop interior, Fargo (N.D.) circa 1935
00057-00003 Miss Murray and Alice Watson on the church steps, Elbowoods (N.D.) 1942
00057-00004 Street Scene in downtown Fargo (N.D.) 9/11/1948
00057-00005 Medicine bundles placed outside a cabin by Shell Creek (N.D.) 1942
00057-00006 The Standing Rock Monument, near Fort Yates (N.D.) 1942
00057-00007 Flint scattered near the archaeological quarry sites near Dodge (N.D.) 1942
00057-00008 Flint quarries near Dodge (N.D.) 1942
00057-00009 Flint quarry depression near Dodge (N.D.) 1942
00057-00010 Swimming area on the Red River near Island Park, Fargo (N.D.) 1937
00057-00011 Pier of an unidentified swing bridge 1937
00057-00012 Women dance near Red River, Fargo (N.D.) 8/14/1938
00057-00013 Delmar Hagen driving a Red River ox cart 07/10/1958-08/23/1958           
00057-00014 Northern States Power Company power plant, Fargo (N.D.) 03/21/1941
00057-00015 Last run of the street car in Fargo (N.D.) 08/21/1937
00057-00016 Old Front Street Bridge over the Red River between Fargo and Moorhead 05/08/1936
00057-00017 Old Bridge for street cars and other modes of traffic between Fargo and Moorhead 12/05/1937
00057-00018 Front Street Bridge dedication, Fargo (N.D.)   10/29/1936
00057-00019 Governor Hjalmar Petersen speaking at the Front Street Bridge dedication, Fargo (N.D.) 10/29/1936
00057-00020 Governor Walter Welford at the Front Street Bridge dedication, Fargo (N.D.) 10/29/1936
00057-00021 Completed Front Street Bridge between Fargo and Moorhead 05/08/1936
00057-00022 Front Street Bridge construction, Fargo (N.D.) 1936
00057-00023 Front Street Bridge construction, Fargo (N.D.) 05/22/1936
00057-00024 Front Street Bridge construction, Fargo (N.D.) 06/12/1936
00057-00025 Front Street Bridge construction, Fargo (N.D.) 07/15/1936
00057-00026 Front Street Bridge construction, Fargo (N.D.) 1936
00057-00027 Front Street Bridge construction, Fargo (N.D.) 09/14/1936
00057-00028 Front Street Bridge construction, Fargo (N.D.) 09/15/1936
00057-00029 Front Street Bridge construction, Fargo (N.D.) 09/01/1936
00057-00030 Front Street Bridge construction, Fargo (N.D.) 09/01/1936
00057-00031 Construction of Front Street Bridge, Fargo (N.D.) 05/08/1936
00057-00032 Construction of Front Street Bridge, Fargo (N.D.) 1935
00057-00033 Front Street Bridge construction, Fargo (N.D.) 1936
00057-00034 Front Street Bridge construction, Fargo (N.D.) 1936
00057-00035 Front Street Bridge construction, Fargo (N.D.) 1936
00057-00036 Front Street Bridge construction, Fargo (N.D.) 09/28/1936

Address:
612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
Get Directions

Hours:
State Museum and Store: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F; Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
We are closed New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
We will also be closed on Christmas Eve this year.
State Archives: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M-F, except state holidays; 2nd Sat. of each month, 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
State Historical Society offices: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F, except state holidays.

Contact Us:
phone: 701.328.2666
email: histsoc@nd.gov